FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Quincineara??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Does anybody know if their is a mass or ceremony in the Old Roman Missal(1962) for the Quincineara? Or was this just a Mexican Cultural event that the Novus Ordo in America has made up?
Don't know.  I'm sure you can have one tastefully done, but the majority in the USA are really bad.  They come across as the mother announcing: my girl can have sex now.  Maybe just the ones I have been around.
The origin of the tradition is disputed as there are many theories; the most common found is that the Quinceañera began as a blended tradition between the Spanish conquerors as they mixed with the native people in Mexico. They blended the coming of age traditions and ceremonies of the native people with their religion. When the Spaniards arrived the majority were Catholics and the missionaries tried to maintain some of the traditions but with more of a religious significance. Following a tradition of 16th-century Spain, of presenting their 15-year-old daughters to society at events known as Quinceanera balls.
Much like the Cotillion dances in the 19th century in the US. These are to present the "daughter" to society
So the Novus ordo did not make this up. It's very Catholic and very traditional in many of the latin countries.

Just like the Piñatas have been very traditional in Mexico  for centuries in Christmas. The original piñata was shaped like a star with seven points. The points represented the seven deadly sins, and the bright colors of the piñata symbolize temptation. The blindfold represents faith and the stick is virtue or the will to overcome sin. The candies and other goodies inside the piñata are the riches of the kingdom of heaven. Thus teaching that with faith and virtue one could overcome sin and receive all the rewards of heaven.
Was their a mass or blessing in the Old Roman Missal or the Book of Blessings from the pre-Council days?
(05-28-2011, 10:02 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]Was their a mass or blessing in the Old Roman Missal or the Book of Blessings from the pre-Council days?
Yes there was. I don't know it exactly. But it has do to with presenting the young girl unto God.
I'll look up on it. But yes. There was the pre-conciliar mass and blessing. For centuries.
Thanks for looking it up and posting it!!!!!!!!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile
I am sure, though, that there was no changing into heels ceremony or anything of the sort done in church. And it goes without saying that the quinceañera didn't become a lector for the occasion. But these things happen these days. (I've seen a video of the first on YouTube and as for the second, I read about it in a parish website.)

I believe that what was done originally was that the family went to Mass before the big quinceañero (as we call it over here) party, and either before or after the Mass the quinceañera received her blessing. But it was something simple, no "damitas de honor" going down the aisle, as is sometimes done today.
I wonder if they were done reverently in Latin America prior to Vatican 2 and do the FSSP and SSPX chapels down there do them reverently in Latin?
(05-28-2011, 11:13 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if they were done reverently in Latin America prior to Vatican 2 and do the FSSP and SSPX chapels down there do them reverently in Latin?

Most importantly though:. There is a party afterwards! C'mon! FUN FUN FUN FUN! I wish I was Mexican so I could've had a quinceanera. Being American of Nordic heritage  sucks sometimes.
Salt Lemon Champagne Margarita Margarita Margarita Margarita Champagne Wine Lemon Salt
Yes the Nordic people seldom laugh, the culture of death is ingrained inthem.
Pages: 1 2