FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Could Satan ever repent?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(05-29-2011, 11:30 PM)Pheo Wrote: [ -> ]Angels also don't have such limited intellects like us - they're much, much more intelligent.  They fully understand the consequences of their actions before taking them, and that's why their choice to rebel against God was irrevocable.

But if the Fallen Angels had full knowledge of what they were in for by rebelling why on earth did they make that choice?  ???
That's where they were wrong. They could not foresee the future. They screwed up royally. And for the best hehe..

(05-30-2011, 02:31 AM)richness of tradition Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-29-2011, 11:30 PM)Pheo Wrote: [ -> ]Angels also don't have such limited intellects like us - they're much, much more intelligent.  They fully understand the consequences of their actions before taking them, and that's why their choice to rebel against God was irrevocable.

But if the Fallen Angels had full knowledge of what they were in for by rebelling why on earth did they make that choice?   ???
Why do we do things we know are harmful?

Because in the end, it is a choice made of free will, not a determinate conclusion.
(05-30-2011, 02:34 AM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote: [ -> ]That's where they were wrong. They could not foresee the future. They screwed up royally. And for the best hehe..

You are correct to say that they cannot forsee the future, which is to say, to understand the knowledge of God. Even if we should be so blessed, and lucky as to make it to heaven, we will never, ever, though eternity, realize the knowledge or exact nature of God. We will see the face of God, we will have a better understanding, but God by HIs nature is going to always hold back something for Himself. And we can learn a lesson from that. I try to hold back something for myself. I usually fail as I am one to speak my mind and let it be made known. But, there is a lesson for us silly little creatures in this concept.

Now whether this was all for the best. I can't say I agree with that. We lost Paradise from the beginning because of the Evil One. But, God makes straight the most crooked of lines. But, we are also battling against Principalities and Powers and the Prince of this world along with all his demons. And that is tiring at times. It is not easy.

But anyone who says that Satan and his minions can repent is adopting the most liberal of Novus Ordo schtick. It is not possible. Because number one, we were created as the Psalmist writes, "a little lower than the Angels". Actually, I don't know if that is a good translation, but I would have to take issue as I think we were created a lot lower than the Angels. But, that is not really the point. The point, is, that the Angels do have knowledge of God rather than Faith. And so did Adam and Eve. We have Faith. We will not have Faith when we die. We will have knowledge of the actual reality. Let us pray on this Rogation Day, that we will be on the right side of the tracks when that day arrives.
(05-30-2011, 08:47 AM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-30-2011, 02:31 AM)richness of tradition Wrote: [ -> ]

But if the Fallen Angels had full knowledge of what they were in for by rebelling why on earth did they make that choice?   ???
Why do we do things we know are harmful?

Because in the end, it is a choice made of free will, not a determinate conclusion.

Yep, it kinda goes with why Adam and Eve chose to sin when they weren't subject to concupiscence.  The angels were given some choice to make, and they refused to serve God.  I think some theologians have speculated that they rebelled against serving God in the Incarnation, but I forget where I heard that.
i was always taught once angles make a decision they cannot change it, unlike humans which makes us more superior despite angles being thousands if not millions of times more intelligent and stronger than us
No
The answer can only make sense when you understand a bit more about the nature of angels. Most people think of them as humans with wings. They are not that. They are intelligences RADICALLY different from us, and even from themselves. Fr. Chad Ripperger goes into great depth in his talks on spiritual warfare and the angels. Here: http://www.sensustraditionis.org/multimedia.html. Scroll down to, or search for, "Spiritual Warfare".
Father Hardon had a very good series of talks on Angel and Demons as well. Don't know if it is still availabe, but for those interested in the subject it's worth a search.
As Satan is a 'rational creature' with an intellect and free will, I don't see why he couldn't repent, at least theoretically.
Pages: 1 2 3