FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What's good about the Novus Ordo Mass?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I think it is high time to try and approach the differences between the Mass of All Ages which we all love, and the New Mass from a different angle.

I'm not talking about the "Spirit" of Vatican II that led to all the abuses we have all discussed ad nauseum. Let's pretend the Mass was done as the documents suggested.

1) Increased Lay Participation meant saying the Latin responses.

2) Still celebrated Ad Orientem.

3) Nowhere in the documents did it say to sing Protestant type hymns. In fact, Gregorian Chant was not to be abandoned.

You get the idea. Assuming this happened and a bunch of wild cats did not go crazy, what could have been some good aspects? I'll answer mine in the next post as my browser does not let me type much past the box without going into kinipshin fits.
While I don't care for the Old Testament Reading all the time, I do at times find it very useful for the layman to find the theme for the Mass.

The 2nd Readings, or what we call Epistles, are much imporved in the sense of capturing the Proper of the Season. For instance, if you go to Daily Mass during the first couple of weeks in Eastertide, they are reading from The Acts of the Apostles. These are important readings to be heard, and obviously read.

On the flip side. There is no knowledge of a Common of the Saints. I'm sure one exists is some watered down format, but I haven't detected it. So when a Saint's Feast Day occurs it is almost as if it is not happening, unless the priest gives a little talk during the homily about the Saint and you here his name in the Collect, Canon, and I guess the post Communion prayers. It's been awhile since I've darkened the NO doorway.

Now in the TLM, many Saints appear after the Octave of Easter. And they don't read from The Acts. However, as I just started to pray the Divine Office about six months ago, I've noticed this is covered in the Breviary. I found that interesting since I had perceived this as a defect before.

So, in a way, I think the theme of the day being brought forth through the readings is a good thing since most lay people never prayed the Divine Office and probably did not, and certainly today, do not, know the Psalms well enough to catch the subtlties in the other Propers or even know that there is a method to the Common that identifies different types of Saints.
What's good about the Novus Ordo? That its existence prevented the traditional Roman rite from being distorted further by innovators.
(06-07-2011, 08:20 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]What's good about the Novus Ordo? That its existence prevented traditional Roman rite from being distorted further by innovators.

I assume you are talking about the mid '50s changes to Holy Week. And the dropping of most Octaves and quite a few Saints from the Proper of the Saints.

That is a good point. It kind of froze it for all time. Kind of like a Time Capsule.

So maybe there were some blessings that came out of this mess. Maybe there was some Divine Guidance there after all.
Hypothetically, it would have been best used in situations where the Mass needed to be kept short, like in China, Burma, or other places where being a Catholic put your life at risk. However, it would still be ill suited for regular use because of all of the prayers and symbolism that was suppressed.
(06-07-2011, 08:27 PM)tradne4163 Wrote: [ -> ]Hypothetically, it would have been best used in situations where the Mass needed to be kept short, like in China, Burma, or other places where being a Catholic put your life at risk. However, it would still be ill suited for regular use because of all of the prayers and symbolism that was suppressed.

Never thought about it from that angle, where a Catholic's life might be in danger or for brevities sake. But, Low Masses usually take no longer than 40 minutes on a weekday usually under an hour on Sunday's.

I did for a time have the theory that the Mass was simplified for Missionary work. Specifically Africa, but China and Burma would fit in that category as well. They probably did not have the money to build the beautiful Altars and even if misguided, perhaps having Mass spoken in the vernacular to the country in quesiton would be a quicker way to build a flock. However, they kind of stopped Missionary work soon after, didn't they? I think we won in Africa because of this strategy, to the point that the Prots gave up and went right into the heart of Traditional Catholic lands like Latin America. Promoting a cheaper and easier service. And that's been a disaster. 
(06-07-2011, 08:27 PM)tradne4163 Wrote: [ -> ]Hypothetically, it would have been best used in situations where the Mass needed to be kept short, like in China, Burma, or other places where being a Catholic put your life at risk.

The faithful of the British Isles did well enough with clandestine Tridentine Low Masses for centuries. I'm sure that the faithful of the countries mentioned above could have done the same.
I personally became Catholic through the Novus Ordo Mass.  I was a fundamentalist Christian attending Mass because I had a Catholic boyfriend/fiance and I was drawn to the Catholic Church because I sensed Christ's presence in the Eucharist.  
While we know that the Novus Ordo is a watered down version of Catholicism to appeal to Protestants we must not go overboard and we must still realize JESUS is present at the consecration.and many devout catholics attend it. We do pray that the leadership of the Church will see the error of their ways and return to the Mass of Tradition. The Novus Ordo experiment even if you personally prefer it has not worked and has turned the liturgy into national languages like the orthodox church has national churches. While we wait for the humility of the leadership of the Church to recognize the errors they implemented we welcome Jesus as our Savior in both rites for now. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
(06-07-2011, 08:36 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2011, 08:27 PM)tradne4163 Wrote: [ -> ]Hypothetically, it would have been best used in situations where the Mass needed to be kept short, like in China, Burma, or other places where being a Catholic put your life at risk.

The faithful of the British Isles did well enough with clandestine Tridentine Low Masses for centuries. I'm sure that the faithful of the countries mentioned above could have done the same.
That's true, and I'm not saying it should replace Low Masses. I merely noted that the Novus Ordo, as described by the OP, could be used in those situations. Remember, this is only hypothetical.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6