FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Vatican Excommunicates Patriotic Chinese Bishops
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Vatican Excommunicates Patriotic Church Bishops

(Vatikan/Peking) At the request of numerous Chinese Faithful, and above all the Catholic underground Church, the Holy See has published a clarification that the unauthorized newly consecrated, regime-friendly Bishops of the People's Republic of China, as well as the Bishops who consecrated them, are excommunicated with all of the consequences that follow from that.

The explanation comes from the Papal Advisor for Legislative Texts.
The Holy See is pleading with the stricken Bishops:

-to make a public gesture of penitence

-that they do not celebrate Holy Mass or receive Holy Communion

-that they neither receive nor distribute the Sacraments

-that they give up the direction of their Dicoese.

These requirements are the "necessary medicine for healing", to make possible the resettling of the Catholic Church. After the receiving many uncustomary outcries, the Holy See has taken steps with this warning to clarify the confusing situation in the People's Republic of China. The Papal Advisor for Legislative Texts explained the reason for the proceedings as the illegal consecration by the Communist regime's Bishops without a Papal Mandate. Even though the punishment is affecting the relevant parties, there is still the possibility for the ecclesiastical punishments to be withdrawn and return to reconciliation with the Church.

http://eponymousflower.blogspot.com/2011...hurch.html

I doubt those bishops will care. The so called "Patriotic Association" is by its very nature opposed to the Church and therefor refuse to be subject to it.
:colt: :colt:
obviously, a lot of Chinese care because they don't belong to the Chi-com official Church and have steadfastly resisted it for half a century.
That's true, but the newly consecrated bishops, whom are described as regime friendly, will ignore the Vatican. That's my point.
(06-14-2011, 03:45 AM)tradne4163 Wrote: [ -> ]That's true, but the newly consecrated bishops, whom are described as regime friendly, will ignore the Vatican. That's my point.

The Chinese government won't ignore this and the Bishops can't ignore this.

Even the SSPX had to contend with the idea that they might not be canonically part of the Catholic Church, and sensing this, many Faithful who supported their chapels, still received Penance from NO Priests in "good standing".
I see your point.
(06-14-2011, 03:30 AM)Augstine Baker Wrote: [ -> ]:colt: :colt:

I've never understood this emoticon. Are they guinea pigs? What does it all mean?
The whole reason that Rome made it necessary to seek approval for each new bishop was to deal with the Chinese situation. Only after the fact did they use that law as a pretext for the SSPX bishops' so-called excommunicated. It was a lie.

Glad to see they're doing something about the Chinese. The Asian faithful have suffered so much, and when Rome is silent, it aids the persecutors of the faithful.
(06-14-2011, 03:14 PM)charlesh Wrote: [ -> ]The whole reason that Rome made it necessary to seek approval for each new bishop was to deal with the Chinese situation.

No, it predated the Chinese situation. With the exception of a few special Sees (such as Utrecht, etc.) Rome has appointed bishops or required approval for centuries. While this practice predates the Council of Trent, it was formalized there as Pius VI later explained in 1791 as he applied this principle:

"For the right of ordaining bishops-belongs only to the Apostolic See, as the Council of Trent declares; it cannot be assumed by any bishop or metropolitan without obliging Us to declare schismatic both those who ordain and those who are ordained, thus invalidating their future actions." 
http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Pius06/p6charit.htm
Pages: 1 2