FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Cigars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hey everyone.

Recently, I've been getting into cigar-smoking. It is quite the experience I must say. However, I'm still fairly ignorant on the subject, so I would like to see if there are other cigar aficionados around FE, who might have some wisdom to share.

Pax vobiscum.
Fatter cigars generally taste better than thin ones. They can blend more varieties of leaf into it.

Don't scoff at machine-made cigars. Some of them are pretty tasty. There's a lot of waste when making a hand-rolled cigar. Those scraps of premium leaf don't get thrown away, they get shredded and used in machine made cigars. They're cheaper than hand-rolled, and they always burn evenly and draw well. And if for whatever reason you can't finish the whole thing, it's not such a loss to chuck it. I used to really enjoy King Edward Cigars, but they seem to have gotten scarce.
(06-18-2011, 05:33 AM)Paddy of Denmark Wrote: [ -> ]Hey everyone.

Recently, I've been getting into cigar-smoking. It is quite the experience I must say. However, I'm still fairly ignorant on the subject, so I would like to see if there are other cigar aficionados around FE, who might have some wisdom to share.

Pax vobiscum.

Heroin is more of an experience. You should try it.

Crack is also good too, but it has a bad reputation. You can try methamphetamine as well. That can be used for great effect for a while (it gets less useful over time, but at least it can be useful).

(06-18-2011, 10:16 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]

Pax vobiscum.

Crack is also good too, but it has a bad reputation. You can try methamphetamine as well. That can be used for great effect for a while (it gets less useful over time, but at least it can be useful).

Acid ftw.

Kidding. I love cigars, but I'm pretty ignorant too. I usually just buy a random one, smoke it, and declare whether or not I liked it  ;D
(06-18-2011, 10:16 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]

Pax vobiscum.

:laughing:
Do you have a cigar shop near you where men hang out in the evenings and smoke?  The cigar shop near my home usually has a group of men smoking and talking when I go in to buy cigars for my father.  This would probably be a good place to get advice too.  I've not smoked a cigar but, I've bought plenty over the years for people.  I usually purchase cigars based on my father's preference which is a light wrapper and a large ring gauge.  For a low end cigar Romeo Y Julieta, Upmann and Padrons are good buys.  I've always been told not to go below the $5 - $6 mark on these.  A popular mid-range cigar that I see a lot of men smoke is a Butera.  You can get a decent size one for $8 (many are more expensive though).  Another one that is becoming more low end priced is the Olivia Series V.  I pay around $7 - $8 for these.  The more pricey cigars I purchase are AVO, Ashton and Davidoff.  I recently purchased several Davidoff Millenniums for $18 a piece.

I'm far too comfortable navigating myself around these big walk in humidors.  :laughing:
Cigars are okay, I however find Pipe smoking much more attractive.  The concept of smoking a pipe, to me, is very eloquent and an oft forgotten practice.  In Europe, many men still smoke pipes, unlike in North America.  When I was growing up, I always remember that my father smelled like cured Turkish pipe tobacco and bay-rum aftershave tonic!  Wonderful smell.  I got into it after a fellow Priest got me into it.  If you have a bit of time and interest, it's a great hobby, most tobacconists will be happy tog ive you help.  Corn-cob pipes can be less than $10.00. 

Cigars aren't bad sometimes either though.  The only problem is that for most of you that live in America, you can't get real Cuban cigars (legally), taking away significantly from your experience.

God Bless.
Rosarium Wrote:Heroin is more of an experience. You should try it.

Perhaps you should address this to Pope St. Pius X, an avid cigar smoker and snuff user. You piping up (no pun intended) on this subject with the same lines every time is quite obnoxious. Give it a rest.

[Image: st-pius-x-tiara.jpg]
(06-18-2011, 09:55 PM)SoCalLocal Wrote: [ -> ]Don't scoff at machine-made cigars.

Scoff I must, sir. Machine-made cigars use low-quality tobacco with no regard for fermentation or proper aging techniques. In addition, since these cigars are intended for gas stations and pharmacies they are almost never stored in humidors. Because of that manufactures use flavoring additives and preservatives to maintain the flavor and freshness of the tobacco. In fact, most machine cigars use a combination of chopped up second-hand tobacco and "homogenized" tobacco, which is tobacco scraps combined with water and vegetable-based adhesive and extruded into paper-like sheets.

I'd avoid them entirely. Smoking a cigar should be a relaxing, slow process of enjoyment and a time to savor the nuances found in beautifully crafted cigars. One should also appreciate the time, effort and artistry that went in to the cigar you have gently tucked between your fingers. Go with the good stuff.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6