FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What if anything does the Church teach with regard to hypnotism?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My kid was at one of these graduation "lockdown" parties where the whole class goes off to an arcade for a evening--to keep them out of trouble. They have a buffet and entertainment set up into the wee hours then they all get on bus and head back to the school.

So this morning the kid was telling me about how they had a hypnotist there at the arcade. The man was hypnotizing about 15 of the kids, making them do crazy, funny things. I told my kid that I was glad he didn't do it. Do you think that sort of thing can leave a person spiritually vulnerable to the enemy? It's just sort of a creepy thing, I don't really know though, just wondering...
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07604b.htm

About 3/4 of the way down:

Hypnotism, therefore, is a dangerous, if not a morally detestable, practice. In the process of suggestion the individual alienates his liberty and his reason, handing himself over to the domination of another. Now, no one has any right thus to abdicate the rights of his conscience to renounce the duty towards his personality.

The Catholic Encyclopedia's not dogmatic in itself of course, but it does summarize the teaching.
If you ever get hypnotized.... check yourself, if you know what I mean.
MmmHmm, that makes sense, both of you above. My kid was saying that a few people tried to be hypnotized, but weren't able to be and the hypnotist had them go back into the audience and sit down. I wonder if there's some kind of connection between hypnotism and demonic possession.
(06-18-2011, 05:42 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: [ -> ]MmmHmm, that makes sense, both of you above. My kid was saying that a few people tried to be hypnotized, but weren't able to be and the hypnotist had them go back into the audience and sit down. I wonder if there's some kind of connection between hypnotism and demonic possession.

No, it is usually psychological, however, stage hypnotists are not what they seem.

Think about it. For someone to be hypnotised, they must consent to it, and they must be relaxed. Suddenly being on a stage in front of others knowing there is going to be something weird is not a place where one could be hypnotised.

Usually, the subjects play along. It is for fun. Imagine it. You go onto the stage, the magician claims he will make you do things you will not remember. You sit down, he waves his watch in front of your face and says "Now you are under my control". You know you are not, but what do you do? Say "No I am not" and go sit back down while everyone is looking at you? No, you sit there. Next, he tells you to cluck like a chicken, and you do it. You are psychologically able to do this because of the context. It is the perfect excuse and it is amusing to you. Whether you know this is how it was supposed to work or not does not matter. Then he snaps his fingers and you stop and claim you do not remember anything. Everyone wins. The audience is entertained, you are a bit smug and amused, and the magician then proceeds to take advantage of psychological facts of humans for their own entertainment. That is what he does.

EDIT: This is why they make their subjects do silly things. If they could really control people, would they be doing it for pennies on a stage?

(06-18-2011, 12:42 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07604b.htm

About 3/4 of the way down:

Hypnotism, therefore, is a dangerous, if not a morally detestable, practice. In the process of suggestion the individual alienates his liberty and his reason, handing himself over to the domination of another. Now, no one has any right thus to abdicate the rights of his conscience to renounce the duty towards his personality.

The Catholic Encyclopedia's not dogmatic in itself of course, but it does summarize the teaching.

Hypnotism is a word. What is described is not hypnotism. Even when tried, people cannot be forced to do anything they don't want under hypnosis or as a result of hypnosis.

Conditioning is the way one controls another psychologically. It is used routinely to control people. You can't use hypnosis to force someone to stand up at the sound of a bell, but go to any public high school and watch what happens when the bell is rung a third of the way through class when the students know full well the class isn't over. They all stand up... They are conditioned. Or you could make everyone sit down or stand up at your will. Have a couple of people in the front of the church all sit down or stand up at once and more than half of the congregation will follow.

Controlling people is easy if you know how minds work. The crucial part is realising one's own mind works the exact same way.