FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Traditionalists are a tiny minority
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I heard Wikipedia report that there are up to 7 million Trads in the Catholic Church.

I calculated the percent and I found that we trads are a tiny minority 0.6 percent of all Catholics worldwide.

What is the number of trads in the US?
(06-18-2011, 08:37 PM)love alabama Wrote: [ -> ]I heard Wikipedia report that there are up to 7 million Trads in the Catholic Church.

I calculated the percent and I found that we trads are a tiny minority 0.6 percent of all Catholics worldwide.

What is the source and definitions of terms?
(06-18-2011, 08:37 PM)love alabama Wrote: [ -> ]I heard Wikipedia report that there are up to 7 million Trads in the Catholic Church.

I think it would be very difficult to calculate the number of "traditionalists" since the definition thereof is so fluid and since some attend the Novus Ordo regularly, others attend the TLM regularly, and others do not attend Mass regularly.

It wouldn't be so difficult to compute the total number of attendees of diocesan, FSSP, ICRSS, and SSPX TLMs though.
(06-18-2011, 08:40 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]It wouldn't be so difficult to compute the total number of attendees of diocesan, FSSP, ICRSS, and SSPX TLMs though.

True, but I think almost everyone will agree that not only these people are trads.  The word itself is such a open term really.  I mean, count CMRI, Thuc Line independents, Palmarians, etc. and your number increases, (not by much, the fringe groups are small), many attendees of diocesan TLMs count themselves as among the traditionalists, and many ICRSS and FSSP parishioners would be hesitant to define themselves as 'trads'.

Some count themselves as simply part of the Roman Church that is attached to former liturgical and devotional practices that have fallen into disuse.  Others, however, count themselves as entirely separate etc.

Hard to tell, and I'd never calculate it.  It'd give me a sore head.
Jesus said where 2 or 3 are gathered  and he also said that narrow is the gate that leads to life and few are there that find it.  Don't worry about numbers , they should worry about eternity in Hell more than we worry about numbers.
(06-18-2011, 08:50 PM)InNomineDomini Wrote: [ -> ]many attendees of diocesan TLMs count themselves as among the traditionalists

I know I'm going to regret asking this, but isn't that the default assumption?

I (basically exclusively) attend a diocesan TLM and I am a traditionalist. The previous sentence contains a redundancy.
Wouldn't Traditionalists number similar to how the Catholics numbered during Arianism? The Arians apparently had more followers than Catholicism during the period .
A tiny minority.. If you count us amongst the "I was raised Catholyc" types which probably account for a very large percentage of those who would call themselves Catholic in such a census.

0.6 % is 60%.  That's a very large number if you ask me.
(06-18-2011, 10:32 PM)Adeodatus01 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-18-2011, 08:50 PM)InNomineDomini Wrote: [ -> ]many attendees of diocesan TLMs count themselves as among the traditionalists

I know I'm going to regret asking this, but isn't that the default assumption?

I (basically exclusively) attend a diocesan TLM and I am a traditionalist. The previous sentence contains a redundancy.
Exactly my point.  There is no exact and widely accepted definition or classification for traditionalists.  Many who attend these diocesan TLMs are hesitant to classify themselves as traditionalists, as the word often suggests theological or doctrinal implications, which many diocesan TLM, and other TLM attendees, do not hold.  Even Archbishop Lefebvre stated he was hesitant to call himself a leader of 'the traditionalists'.
God Bless.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5