FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Fasting/Abstinence on Vigil of John the Baptist?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What does the traditional Catholic calendar have to say regarding the Vigil of St. John the Baptist?  Is it a day of either fasting or abstinence?
Modern Roman Rite: It has been classified as a Solemnity if I am not mistaken, since the revisions in 1970.
traditional Calendar: It is a 1st class feast and in preceding calendars it is a Double-First Class.  Thus, laws of fasting and abstinence are dictated by standard canonical and liturgical regulations for your locale.  I believe the Propers are John 1:6-7.  It is further customary to burn worn out sacramental in a bon-fire this day.  I will be celebrating a Solemn Mass this day for that purpose.
God Bless.
The feast of Corpus Christi (a moveable feast) is celebrated on the Thursday after Trinity Sunday, which this year is also the Vigil of the birth of St. John the Baptist, Jume 23.  I believe the Church is moving the feast to Sunday.
In the East, the fast is for the beheading of John the Baptist.
In the pre 55 calendar is tomorrow (Thursday) the Vigil of St. John the Baptist or Corpus Christi?
(06-22-2011, 07:50 AM)acatholiclife Wrote: [ -> ]In the pre 55 calendar is tomorrow (Thursday) the Vigil of St. John the Baptist or Corpus Christi?

Corpus Christi, without Commemoration of the Vigil. II Vespers is of Corpus Christi, with a Commemoration of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist.

The Vigil, under the 1917 Code, was not a day of fasting or abstinence.