FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Doubt......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
For some reason, the whole Corapi drama being played out reminds me of this scene from the movie "Doubt" where the forces of tradition have to resort almost to the tactic of deception in order to "bring about a better good" when Sr Aloysius told the priest that she looked into his past and spoke to a nun from another parish about his "activities" before he was removed from there. The liberal, pedo-priest is infuriated that she didn't deal directly with the parish pastor where he could be safe in the protection of another possible child-rapist who would vouch for him. So realizing his goose was about to be cooked he resigns.

But the theme is obviously the war between tradition and progressive, liberal, pedo-priest dominated NO church.

The most powerful part is the nun's willingness to put everything on the line in order to remove this corrupter of children from her parish.

Oh that we would have nuns like this today.

Streep's and Hoffman's performances are superb;

Man, that was a great scene. I see where you're coming from with the analogy...
I really have to see this film again.  Clearly I missed huge parts of the movie.
I really liked this film until the ending.
A non-Christian friend of mine had spent a bit talking about this movie, how he liked it...and how it was about a nun trying to get a priest to doubt his faith or something.

Sounds like he missed the mark...? ???
It's about time you guys started watching Catholic films not those made by heretics that put the church in a bad light.
I LOVE that film I have it and watched it so many times. 

I see what you mean, Alaric.

Alaric is one of the few people to have properly understood Doubt. But, there is also another lesson: the confrontation with the progressive priest eventually leaves the traditional nun with her faith destroyed. 
Another character people overlook is Sister James. She is so sweet and naïve that people fail to note that she is the real danger in the movie. She is the good Catholic that fails to act because she doesn't want to deal with the consequences.
(06-23-2011, 07:35 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]Alaric is one of the few people to have properly understood Doubt. But, there is also another lesson: the confrontation with the progressive priest eventually leaves the traditional nun with her faith destroyed. 
Another character people overlook is Sister James. She is so sweet and naïve that people fail to note that she is the real danger in the movie. She is the good Catholic that fails to act because she doesn't want to deal with the consequences.

I never looked at her that way.  I wish I had had the play to read but I cannot find it and I'm sure it would be a little more insightful
(06-23-2011, 03:17 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]I really liked this film until the ending.

why?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5