FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: need help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I have been struggling with masturbation for 7-8 years. How do I stop?

The problem of letting masturbation go is that it feels so good. I am a man by the way.

I am a teen .

All medical books and a southern Baptist psychiatrist that I met told me that masturbation is good. The funny thing is that the psychiatrist minored in"theology" Protestant Baptist that is 
:o
I think you may find some helpful ideas in this thread:  http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...388.0.html

(Not all of it is helpful, but that is how things work on discussion forums.)
A chaotic mind will inevitably manifest itself in action, so keep presence of mind and the battle is yours. I can offer a few suggestions:

1) Confess often.
2) Create a list of things that lead you into this sin, and then do none of them ever again. My own list had about 12 items, including apparently innocent things like eating too heavily, eating too much sugar, sleeping in, lazing around, and unnecessarily looking at, touching, or otherwise admiring my genitalia. Add to this list as you proceed.
3) Practice contemplation and meditation. This may sound curious, but meditating on the form of a triangle, or ‘trinity’, helped me to overcome this sin.
Confess weekly.  Even if you haven't done anything wrong.  Confess weekly (even more often if you can) and pray daily.  Pray the rosary everyday. 

And don't watch TV or movies that might be an occassion of sin.

In other words, you need to shelter yourself with things that remind you of God. 
(06-23-2011, 04:04 PM)a83192 Wrote: [ -> ]I have been struggling with masturbation for 7-8 years. How do I stop?

The problem of letting masturbation go is that it feels so good. I am a man by the way.

I am a teen .

Talk to your priest.

You stop by not intentionally or knowingly doing anything that is a part of sexual arousal. In other words, to stop, stop.

I know it may not be as easy as that, but realise that you have free will and that sins are not in acts only, but in intent and will.

whenever you feel a sort of dirty thought coming on block it with praying the Ave Maria or some other prayer.  This helps a lot in the morning.  pray to your guridan angel too he's is always next to you and wants to help you.

St. Casimir, Anthony of Padua, and Aloysius are great saints for purity.
Try to find a traditional priest in your area even if you have to drive a bit  to meet him once a month, they are the ones who have been trained to take this seriously, i'm afraid of you getting help from some priest who considers it nothing more than coming of age. If you can't get to a trad priest contact the cOURAGE apostolate who have priests who will help you with your frequent masturbation and how to control it. Just don't hate yourself for having this just try to seek out wisdom for dealing with this.
Fasting can be very helpful in developing self mastery.
Before people start acting like spiritual directors, remember you are not his priest and he said he was a "teen". Prayer and consulting a priest are always the best things to recommend.
Pages: 1 2 3 4