FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Are there any Catholics from Europe here?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Phony American greetings like "how's it going"
[/quote]

Haha, that is how I often greet people.
(06-28-2011, 12:37 AM)InfinityCodaLMHSYF Wrote: [ -> ]Phony American greetings like "how's it going"

Haha, that is how I often greet people.
[/quote]

I use "How's life?"  :)
(06-27-2011, 09:39 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]Last time I went to DC, I actually immediately felt more at home by seeing all the people in suits. In San Antonio, just wearing a dress shirt is considered overdressed, even if you're not wearing a tie to go with it.

Well, I can sympathize with this.  I tend to wear slacks/dress pants and a button-up shirt everywhere.  When I first started my current job I seem to remember a few jokes coming my way on casual Friday, when everyone else wears jeans.  I don't mind looking pimp - even if I'm the only one who thinks I do.  :laughing:

Quote:Now, Virginia is probably my second-favorite state after Texas due to all the friendly people I met there, but I'm not personally the sort of guy who wants a handshake and all that from a stranger. I only expect that at church. Which, strangely enough, I pretty much never get from people at Catholic churches.

I just like the feeling when someone tries to show genuine concern, caring, etc. for me and I try to do the same.  I always try to be friendly to the janitors and security people in my office building.  Most of the janitors seem to think I'm crazy or something, but one of them and two of the security guards seem to perk up every time I say "hi".  That's the sort of interaction I like - feeling like a person and not just another number, if you will.
The cultures of the Swiss Confederation(especially Graubuenden), (Upper) Bavaria, and Austria scream to me.

I'll just have to deal with Colorado and its strangulating economy and synthetic brand of life in the meantime.
"The cultures of the Swiss Confederation(especially Graubuenden), (Upper) Bavaria, and Austria scream to me.

I'll just have to deal with Colorado and its strangulating economy and synthetic brand of life in the meantime. "

Are you from there originally Heinrich?
(06-28-2011, 10:10 AM)Heinrich Wrote: [ -> ]The cultures of the Swiss Confederation(especially Graubuenden), (Upper) Bavaria, and Austria scream to me.

I'll just have to deal with Colorado and its strangulating economy and synthetic brand of life in the meantime.

I'd move to Bavaria or Austria in a second. Literally. Maybe I should go learn me some German
(06-27-2011, 09:39 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]Last time I went to DC, I actually immediately felt more at home by seeing all the people in suits. In San Antonio, just wearing a dress shirt is considered overdressed, even if you're not wearing a tie to go with it.

I sympathize and feel your pain. I live in Southern California the epicenter of casualness and superficiality. Suits are uncommon and dress shirts are considered overdressed. Basic Socal dress is t-shirts, shorts, flipflops, or jeans and sneakers. We have the whole Hollywood pop culture, laid back, party, and beach phenomenon that produces a culture in which there is a lot of fake, phony, people who are superficial in every area of life.

I lived in Nebraska for a year and it was culture shock. The midwest is different. There is a genuine friendliness among the down to Earth and hardworking people there. They are really nice, friendly, and helpful.

I definitely agree with the sentiments above. I would move to Bavaria in a heartbeat. Would love to experience the German Catholic culture.
(06-28-2011, 02:32 PM)mistman Wrote: [ -> ]"The cultures of the Swiss Confederation(especially Graubuenden), (Upper) Bavaria, and Austria scream to me.

I'll just have to deal with Colorado and its strangulating economy and synthetic brand of life in the meantime. "

Are you from there originally Heinrich?

No, Mist, I am not.. But I lived in Bavaria. I guess what appeals to me most is(was: it was almost twenty years ago) the unMachiavellian attitudes and modus vivendi prevalent. While it was not a Catholic Wunderland in the sense of ubiquitous piety, das lebensstil was relaxed and cozy. People were happy being Bavarians and living there, working where their birth put them, and having just enough money for sausages and beer auf der Terrase. I look at the areas I mentioned as being the best Europe has to offer: the meld of Mediterranean and northern German cultures.

Although I have never been to France or Scandinavia, I could see myself being happy in the Champagne area of France as well. A cottage for Mrs. Heinrich and me, a terrace for breakfasts of cheese, lunches of cheese, and suppers of snails and cheese with wine. The cathedral close with a TLM everday. It'd be nice.
(06-27-2011, 06:52 PM)mistman Wrote: [ -> ]I was just curious about this. If so, have you ever been to the United States? What are your impressions (people, values, etc.)?

My own impression is that something is wrong here. It's hard to explain but I sense it. I'm trying to figure it out.

Hello everyone, I'm from the UK.  If you were to ask me specifically about the religious opinions of American Catholics, I would note how heavily influenced they seem to be by low church protestantism.  There seems to be a gravitational pull which constantly tugs American Catholics in that direction, both theologically and culturally.  Needless to say, however, all is not well in Europe.  In the UK there seems to be a similar gravitational pull towards mainstream Anglicanism and presbyterianism, which seems to manifest itself in a sort of 'why can't we just be more like them' attitude that many British Catholics appear to have.  In addition to all that there exists a pan-European view which sees protestantism as more intellectually and socially respectable - i.e. more attuned to the modern world, less 'medieval' and 'superstitious' etc.

Anyhow, this is just a few thoughts for my first post on this forum.
(06-28-2011, 06:25 PM)Tony W. Wrote: [ -> ]Anyhow, this is just a few thoughts for my first post on this forum.

Welcome to the forum, Tony!  :)
Pages: 1 2 3