FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Bishop in Portland Maine is "downsizing" his living quarters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here in Maine...our Bishop is selling his $925,000 mansion and "downsizing" into a more "cost effective" $599,000 home in Falmouth. The Bishop just closed the Catholic school because there is no money...as people have pointed out...there are so many rectories with empty rooms that he could stay in so why does he need a house that costs more than half a million dollars for just himself? As someone said...he's just downsizing from the Taj Mahal to the Samoset Resort.

All that means is that the Bishop isn't going to be as influential, hosting parties, conferences and so forth.  Those stately homes are for entertaining people and SHOULD be like Monasteries.

This kind of posturing just gratfiies the blood lust of our enemies.
True Augustine and usually those mansions were given to the church, not built by the church by rich Catholics that died because they believed the dignity of the Bishop's office deserved the best as is the case why we build beautiful magnificient churches to honor the Almighty God!!!!!!
(07-06-2011, 01:29 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: [ -> ]This kind of posturing just gratfiies the blood lust of our enemies.

I don't know what you mean by this but there has already been many articles in the local paper blasting the Bishop for moving into such a large house. This would be a good opportunity for the Bishop to inform people why he needs a large residence but the only thing he has said is through his spokesperson is "No comment."

(07-06-2011, 08:53 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-06-2011, 01:29 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: [ -> ]This kind of posturing just gratfiies the blood lust of our enemies.

I don't know what you mean by this but there has already been many articles in the local paper blasting the Bishop for moving into such a large house. This would be a good opportunity for the Bishop to inform people why he needs a large residence but the only thing he has said is through his spokesperson is "No comment."

I don't think that trying to gratify egalitarian and Marxist sentiments does us any good, and it makes us look weak too.  It's a way of conceding to their faulty arguments.

When St. Pius XII met the Reds in the Vatican Embasy in Munich on the stairs, he confronted them with steely determination and the power of his charism as a Prince of the Church and they withdrew from his presence even though he weighed a mere hundred pounds or so.... and was apparently unarmed.
Episcopal palaces are very traditional. The bishop was, in a certain way, a prince.

Let's not get excited over this.
(07-06-2011, 09:00 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]Episcopal palaces are very traditional. The bishop was, in a certain way, a prince.

Let's not get excited over this.

Dieses.
Maybe Pope Benedict should sell the Vatican....and use that money to help poor kids?

Better?
(07-06-2011, 09:44 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe Pope Benedict should sell the Vatican....and use that money to help poor kids?

Better?

These people that are bitching in the paper are probably the same people who said the Bishop shouldn't be raising money to fight against gay marriage; instead he should be helping the poor. They will bitch about the bishop no matter what he spends the money on. Especially if it's to promote the true faith.

Pure posturing.

Bishops should have grand residences.  They are in high offices and their palaces/mansions are an important symbol as to their Apostolic stature.

The 'machine' wastes so much money on garbage services, I guarantee that within 2 years any reasonably capable guy (or gal!) who understands big picture finance, organic growth, and is not afraid of hurting the feelings of some crypto contraception group or 'praise and worship club' could turn around most diocese.  They would be making money and better serving the faithful in things spiritual and temporal.

At my old Novus Ordo parish, which was thought to be super conservative (Haugen was mixed with occassional Latin making for some of the weirdest liturgies I've ever seen.)  The way money was pissed away actually drove me away as fast as their stubborn refusal to permit the TLM (despite it being a central church for many counties that has not been wreckvated thanks be to the foresight of the benefactor and his covenants forbidding changing visual aspects of most everything, making for a church still designed for the TLM.)

This is almost always a Judas move.  Any full audit would reveal a rotted out house of horror in most cases.
Pages: 1 2