FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: median age trends in TLM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What are the trends that you foresee in the future regarding the ages of the SSPX and the FSSP priests combined. The median age of the FSSP currently is 36.  Are they going to trend younger and younger, are they going to level off, or are they going to go up?

Enrollments in their seminaries are going up. Keep that in mind.
The FSSP median age will continue to trend downward because they are accepting younger seminarians than they used to, and they are steering away from older candidates.
The other thing to keep in mind is it seems to be that many regular young diocesan priests are interested in the TLM as well. 

Something I read the other day on another website was a comment that the Novus Ordo very much reflects the time it was created in, the late 1960s: an era in which there was a great emphasis on sound be it in music or debate. 

However, our generation is focused on the visual, be it on the internet, youtube, or texting. Indeed we seem to be shunning the spoken word as many of us hate talking on the phone and I think most people would agree the music of our generation ain't anything to write home about.  Thus, in an odd way the TLM is now a more contemporary mass than the Novus Ordo as the TLM is an incredibly visual mass, while the Novus Ordo is certainly not pretty to look at.   
(07-06-2011, 11:49 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]However, our generation is focused on the visual, be it on the internet, youtube, or texting. Indeed we seem to be shunning the spoken word as many of us hate talking on the phone and I think most people would agree the music of our generation ain't anything to write home about.  Thus, in an odd way the TLM is now a more contemporary mass than the Novus Ordo as the TLM is an incredibly visual mass, while the Novus Ordo is certainly not pretty to look at.   

That seems to be a speculation.
(07-07-2011, 12:09 AM)Fortunatus Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-06-2011, 11:49 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]However, our generation is focused on the visual, be it on the internet, youtube, or texting. Indeed we seem to be shunning the spoken word as many of us hate talking on the phone and I think most people would agree the music of our generation ain't anything to write home about.  Thus, in an odd way the TLM is now a more contemporary mass than the Novus Ordo as the TLM is an incredibly visual mass, while the Novus Ordo is certainly not pretty to look at.   

So?
(07-07-2011, 12:09 AM)Fortunatus Wrote: [ -> ]

Buddy... read the originating post:

median age trends in TLM

What are the trends that you foresee in the future regarding the ages of the SSPX and the FSSP priests combined. The median age of the FSSP currently is 36.  Are they going to trend younger and younger, are they going to level off, or are they going to go up?

Enrollments in their seminaries are going up. Keep that in mind.

Foresee and speculation are pretty much the same..

The median age of TLM priests will keep going down. TLM institutions and societies have a steadily increasing rate of young vocations and many young diocesan seminarians are learning to celebrate the TLM. The current situation is quite encouraging, although there is still a long way to go. 
What about those seminary schools for teenagers that assisted with priesthood?  I think that's what they'll be starting up not in the near future but eventually.
  I believe the only minor seminary for that is traditional is St Josph's Minor Seminary in Rathdrum, Idaho(City of Mary) http://www.minorseminary.org  run by Fr Benedict Hughes, CMRI.  The NO may have just one left in the USA.  It is good in that it helps the young man get prepared for the Major seminary if he sees that is where God wants him to go after his studies in ways that high schools can't. 

Joe
The future belongs to the young, my generation is near death. This is a double edge sword: Tradition will carry on, but after an intermezzo. It will be Tradition as only a few have decided it was.

tim