FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Blocking Internet Ads: Ethical?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am wondering if blocking ads on the Internet (e.g., using adblock plus) ethical or even sinful?

I am confused on this issue.
Some internet ads are not ethical. 
Contraception and the like.
I know, but I usually block them all regardless of what they are advertising. Most times I do not even know what they are even advertising.
It is fine. You are not compelled to see anything.
There is no sin involved in here, but remember websites are not charities.  I often click on the ads of websites I like, especially if I see something interesting. 
I use ad-blocker plus.  I figure those poor people who insist on using IE can look at all the advertisements!
You aren't morally obliged to look at internet advertisements, so there's no moral problem with blocking them indiscriminately. Internet ads can sometimes be an occasion for sin, anyway, so it might actually be wiser to avoid them altogether.
There is no Church law requiring you to look at internet ads. It's not part of your contract with your Internet Service Provider.

With television ads, some people regard them differently. Jamie Kellner, then CEO of Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. said the following about digital video recorders and television commercials:

"Because of the ad skips.... It's theft. Your contract with the network when you get the show is you're going to watch the spots. Otherwise you couldn't get the show on an ad-supported basis. Any time you skip a commercial or watch the button you're actually stealing the programming."

As far as I know, I've never been told anything by any of the TV companies in NZ that I have to watch the ads. I have a digital video recorder and fast-forward through the ads on recorded and live paused programs. My priest actually told me not to watch the ads.
(07-07-2011, 06:55 AM)MichaelNZ Wrote: [ -> ]"Because of the ad skips.... It's theft. Your contract with the network when you get the show is you're going to watch the spots. Otherwise you couldn't get the show on an ad-supported basis. Any time you skip a commercial or watch the button you're actually stealing the programming."

That is absolutely ridiculous. I never signed a contract saying I wouldn't watch tv unless I watched the ads, too. Part of advertising is the risk that people won't see it. The tv companies still get paid for the ad time and the ad people got their ad time. Nobody else is under any kind of obligation to either of them.

Outrageous. Personally I think it's pretty damn offensive that everywhere you, every second of the day, some idiot is in your face trying to sell you something. Why don't those people have an obligation to stop harassing people?
(07-07-2011, 06:55 AM)MichaelNZ Wrote: [ -> ]With television ads, some people regard them differently. Jamie Kellner, then CEO of Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. said the following about digital video recorders and television commercials:

"Because of the ad skips.... It's theft. Your contract with the network when you get the show is you're going to watch the spots. Otherwise you couldn't get the show on an ad-supported basis. Any time you skip a commercial or watch the button you're actually stealing the programming."
This is a matter of digital copyright.

They say everything is theft. If they had their way, you'd pay full price each time you watched something.

They pay good money for politicians to make laws they want. Let them fume.

How about this, I buy a DVD and I watch it without having to pay again. When they do that, then we'll talk.

And they get paid for the commercial regardless of whether it is watched or not. If it did not, they wouldn't have the ads and the ad supported shows. It works out in the end. It is a business.

Quote:As far as I know, I've never been told anything by any of the TV companies in NZ that I have to watch the ads. I have a digital video recorder and fast-forward through the ads on recorded and live paused programs. My priest actually told me not to watch the ads.
Ads are the problem I think.

Marketing is designed to appeal to the senses to get what they want. Avoiding ads is a good policy.
Pages: 1 2