FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Orange, CA Diocese may bid for bankrupt Crystal Cathedral
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Diocese of Orange, CA, headed by Bishop Tod Brown, who's due to turn in his retirement papers when he turns 75 in November 2011, may bid on buying the Crystal Cathedral, the Protestant megachurch once owned by Robert Schuller, and convert it into a Catholic Cathedral, in an attempt to kill two birds with one stone, namely, to build a cathedral that can hold a bunch of worshippers and save some money doing so. If this goes through, I wonder if it'll be another version of the Taj Mahony? Or will they keep its "Space Age" look?

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-...6205.story

Bishop Todd Brown friend of Roger Cardinal Mahoney turns 75 in November and is desperate to leave a monument to himself as Mahoney has.
Quote:Outside the Crystal Cathedral on Wednesday, volunteer gardener Fred Schwartz said many of the people with long ties to the Schuller ministry would be disheartened by its conversion to a Catholic church.
"If they saw it today, they'd probably cry," he said.

:laughing:

I guess that's not a good enough reason though.  On a practical level, there are already a half dozen Catholic churches in Santa Ana and there is already a modernist Cathedral in Orange, so I don't know why they need to do this.  ???

The younger faithful of that diocese are being drawn to Tradition by the Norbertines. It would be an unnecessary waste if Bishop Brown made a last ditch effort to build a monument to modernism.
But Bishop Tom Brown is in perfect canonical union.

SSPX take note - the path to worldly success runs though ugly masonic Protestant monuments!
I say buy it.

It'd be a nice change of pace to have the Catholics buy the Protty churches.
The latest news: http://www.catholicculture.org/news/head...ryid=11227

----------------------------------------------------
Crystal Cathedral not for sale: pastor

Crystal Cathedral, the 3,000-seat Protestant church built by televangelist Robert Schuller, is not for sale, senior pastor Sheila Schuller Coleman announced on July 31. Instead, the cathedral’s board will seek to raise $50 million over the next four months to pay creditors.

The Diocese of Orange has offered $50 million to purchase Crystal Cathedral, as has a nondenominational Protestant church (My Father’s House Church International). A real estate developer and Chapman University have each offered $46 million to purchase the structure.

A bankruptcy court is expected to consider the offers on August 1.

I guess the threat of Catholics buying it was just too much for Schuller to stand.  :laughing:
(08-01-2011, 01:19 PM)iona_scribe Wrote: [ -> ]The latest news: http://www.catholicculture.org/news/head...ryid=11227

Crystal Cathedral not for sale: pastor

Crystal Cathedral, the 3,000-seat Protestant church built by televangelist Robert Schuller, is not for sale, senior pastor Sheila Schuller Coleman announced on July 31. Instead, the cathedral’s board will seek to raise $50 million over the next four months to pay creditors.

The Diocese of Orange has offered $50 million to purchase Crystal Cathedral, as has a nondenominational Protestant church (My Father’s House Church International). A real estate developer and Chapman University have each offered $46 million to purchase the structure.

A bankruptcy court is expected to consider the offers on August 1.

I guess the threat of Catholics buying it was just too much for Schuller to stand.  :laughing:

Ironic, as Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen preached at the Crystal Cathedral years ago, and there's a statue of him there.

http://archbishopfultonsheencentre.com/S...People.htm
The same Diocese of Orange that filed for bankruptcy because it had to pay hush money to people priests molested?

(08-01-2011, 11:49 PM)Servire Deo Wrote: [ -> ]The same Diocese of Orange that filed for bankruptcy because it had to pay hush money to people priests molested?

They had to cough up $100 million in settlements, but I think they escaped bankruptcy.  The diocese continues to grow like crazy because of faithful immigrants.
Pages: 1 2