FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Apostolic Nuncio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone know how to address the Apostolic Nuncio in writing please?  Thanks
I would think by his rank in the hierarchy and the custom of the language in which you're writing. E.g. Bishop or Archbishop writing in English from the US, 'Your Excellency', writing from a Commonwealth country, Bishop, 'My Lord', Archbishop, 'Your Grace'. But, of course, I could be wrong! LOL
I’m no authority on the topic either, but here is what I would think:

The Apostolic Nuncio (Ambassador) to the United States is Archbishop Pietro Sambi, appointed to his current post on December 17, 2005.  He was consecrated a (arch) bishop on November 9, 1985 and appointed Titular Archbishop of Bellicastrum (bishops who do not actually administer a diocese are appointed as “titular bishops” of a diocese that no longer exists; evidently a bishop, in the Church’s tradition, must be associated with some type of a diocese; I don’t know if this protocol applies to retired bishops).

Consulting Emily Post’s “Etiquette” (1959 edition) a letter would be addressed:

The Most Reverend Pietro Sambi
Apostolic Nuncio to the United States
3339 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 0008-3610

The salutation of the letter would be Your Excellency,
(07-10-2011, 05:49 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]I would think by his rank in the hierarchy and the custom of the language in which you're writing. E.g. Bishop or Archbishop writing in English from the US, 'Your Excellency', writing from a Commonwealth country, Bishop, 'My Lord', Archbishop, 'Your Grace'. But, of course, I could be wrong! LOL

Moneil's probably right, but using the archaic forms appeals to me at least.
(07-10-2011, 07:49 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-10-2011, 05:49 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]I would think by his rank in the hierarchy and the custom of the language in which you're writing. E.g. Bishop or Archbishop writing in English from the US, 'Your Excellency', writing from a Commonwealth country, Bishop, 'My Lord', Archbishop, 'Your Grace'. But, of course, I could be wrong! LOL

Moneil's probably right, but using the archaic forms appeals to me at least.

Not sure where you're coming from on this. If you mean 'My Lord/Your Grace' are archaic, that may be, but they are still the accepted forms in the British Commonwealth. Even the FE page you cite calls them the 'British' forms of address. Smile
Here's how to address the Apostolic Nuncio--------------"HELP!!! HELP!!!, Tell the Pope to appoint orthodox , zealous and courageous bishops.
Thanks for all the replies.
(07-11-2011, 05:33 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]Here's how to address the Apostolic Nuncio--------------"HELP!!! HELP!!!, Tell the Pope to appoint orthodox , zealous and courageous bishops.

P.S.  This is exactly the purpose of my letter.  My Bishop has just resigned and the Apostolic Nuncio is in charge of the selection process for the next Ordinary. 

I am sick and tired of having to drive an hour (each way) every Sunday to the nearest proper Mass and how it's a different church every week (but always in the middle of nowhere at a random time in the afternoon).

We need a bishop who will cater to the needs of trads as well as pandering to the post-VII crowd. 

Please pray for these intentions too!
(07-17-2011, 08:49 AM)Pilgrim_here Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-11-2011, 05:33 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]Here's how to address the Apostolic Nuncio--------------"HELP!!! HELP!!!, Tell the Pope to appoint orthodox , zealous and courageous bishops.

P.S.  This is exactly the purpose of my letter.  My Bishop has just resigned and the Apostolic Nuncio is in charge of the selection process for the next Ordinary. 

I am sick and tired of having to drive an hour (each way) every Sunday to the nearest proper Mass and how it's a different church every week (but always in the middle of nowhere at a random time in the afternoon).

We need a bishop who will cater to the needs of trads as well as pandering to the post-VII crowd. 

Please pray for these intentions too!

Send your petitions to Our Lady via the Most Holy Rosary.  This is much more effective.  But if you want to do both, that it okay too.