FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Betty Fords Funeral
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since I live in the So Cal Desert area, not that far from the Palm Springs area as the crow flies, the local news covered Betty Fords funeral in depth, even showing the (protestant) service live on TV. I couldn't help but notice that , the beginning at least, was very close, similiar, to the (N.O.) mass today. I only watched it for 7-8 minutes and turned it off. Eye opening since I have never been to a prot service. Why would I? But, really how close are these prot services to the (new) mass, and which ones are the most similiar?  Of course, it in no way, shape, or form was close to the TLM, at least in the 7-8 minutes I watched it.
The new mass was created to be ecumenical and attract the protestants. Extra emphasis on the liturgy of the word while dumbing down the Eucharistic sacrifice. The out loud canon in vernacular, which was first introduced by one of Luther's buddies. For thine is the Kingdom added to the Our Father, which is only used in the West by the prots. Orthodox use forms of it, but Latin rite did not. Small table altars without tabernacles behind them. This emphasizes a meal rather than a sacrifice. Elimination of the Last Gospel, which the reformers removed centuries before. Dumbing down the confiteor to include hardly any saints and making the naming of all of the saints optional in the roman canon. This is fitting since the prots don't like Saints. The whitwashing of walls and iconoclasting, the same things which the radical reformers did. In some cases, the NO was more like Calvin and the lib Lutherans and Anglicans mimicked the NO to be more lib. I'm sure someone here can provide the documents or quotes from the council on this.
Interesting too was a site I  visited years ago which made the comparison between the NO and masonic rituals, complete with "altar" or table. Also included 3 readings , just like NO. It might have been taken from a bleep site not sure. It was a tad scandalous for me but eye opening.
If all true and  could be the pope is aware and trying to reverse this , thus the upcoming changes. 
Most mainstream (baptist, lutheran, methodist, presbyterian) protestants have adopted a Novus Ordo style worship since Vat. II.  Protestant ministers who 50 years ago rejected any type of vestment as "Romish" now have no problem wearing albs, stoles and collars. 

They've been doing this for the past 30-40 years now.  This is nothing to be too surprised about. 

The Novus Ordo accepts all under it's Big Tent - it's just another side altar for their brothers and sisters in other "Ecclesial Communities".  Rolling eyes
(07-13-2011, 12:48 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: [ -> ]Since I live in the So Cal Desert area, not that far from the Palm Springs area as the crow flies, the local news covered Betty Fords funeral in depth, even showing the (protestant) service live on TV. I couldn't help but notice that , the beginning at least, was very close, similiar, to the (N.O.) mass today. I only watched it for 7-8 minutes and turned it off. Eye opening since I have never been to a prot service. Why would I? But, really how close are these prot services to the (new) mass, and which ones are the most similiar?  Of course, it in no way, shape, or form was close to the TLM, at least in the 7-8 minutes I watched it.

Betty Ford was Episcopalian, and Episcopalian services are pretty similar to the NO.  There are also High-Church Anglicans that use a liturgy, in Latin, that is very close to the TLM.  In fact, one of the reasons the TLM was not abrogated by Paul VI was because High Church Anglicans, like Agatha Christie, asked him not to so as they feared it would impact their worship!

However, most Protestants don't use as elaborate of  a liturgy as the Anglican Church.  More often than not Protestant services consist of little more than the Sermon. 
Betty Ford was a nothing, any person who claims the name Christian and approves of abortion as she did ,should be reminded of Jesus's warning about harming his little ones.
Thats so true,. but we cant judge, one thing I shook my head at was the statement by someone in the funeral, family, whatever, that she was probably playing golf in Heaven with her husband right now.... >sad
(07-13-2011, 06:17 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]Betty Ford was a nothing, any person who claims the name Christian and approves of abortion as she did ,should be reminded of Jesus's warning about harming his little ones.

Let's have respect for the recently departed. I am pretty sure the Apostles said a prayer for Judas after he died.
I dont know about that.
(07-13-2011, 06:17 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]Betty Ford was a nothing, any person who claims the name Christian and approves of abortion as she did ,should be reminded of Jesus's warning about harming his little ones.

I agree.

No one can judge Betty Ford's soul at the moment of her death,  but we can judge her actions and speech during her life. 
Betty Ford was an advocate of abortion and contraception and there is no evidence she departed from this way of thinking during her life or up to her death.

You can't call yourself a Christian and advocate the killing of the unborn or to artificially impede life. 
In my book, this shows she was absolutely "a nothing".

Pages: 1 2