FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Republican Assault on Throne in Ireland Continues as Planned: Sacrament of Confe
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny said the government will not exempt priests from reporting evidence of child abuse obtained in the confessional, under a strengthened legislation, reports the Irish Times.

But the Independent.ie reports that the Church is expected to counter any effort to break the traditional seal of the confession box.

Ian Elliott, the CEO of the National Board for Safeguarding Children in the Catholic Church, said he welcomed the tough new legislative package announced by Justice Minister Alan Shatter in the wake of the publication of the Cloyne Report. But Mr Elliott said he saw no justification for breaking the confessional seal, which is known as sacredotal privilege.

“The sacrament of penance (confession) is one of the main sacraments in the Catholic Church,” he said.

“Sacredotal privilege is recognised in many legal systems,” said Mr Elliott. “To break it would antagonise relationships. In any event, it is unnecessary as there are other ways to ensure compliance.”

http://www.ucanews.com/2011/07/15/mandat...-irish-pm/
You give the goverment an inch they take a mile!
Masons are a bitch.
Nationalist movements are almost invariably hostile to the Church.
Wow, the Irish politicians are really giving it to the Church, eh?
They're going to regret it.........
(07-16-2011, 11:44 PM)LausTibiChriste Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, the Irish politicians are really giving it to the Church, eh?
They're going to regret it.........

He who eats Pope dies.

FWIW

http://eponymousflower.blogspot.com/2011...ublic.html

So if this law goes ahead would it be the only country in western world in which priests would have to break the seal?  I don't know what is the law in the US and Canada?  Actually when it comes to suspected child abuse,  even psychiatrists and doctors have to report it,  I know that.
Which I question because how is someone with this problem going to seek help if talking about it  is not confidential?
And yet attorney/client privilege is maintained.  Sick. (I also support a/c privilege, btw).
(07-17-2011, 05:56 PM)richness of tradition Wrote: [ -> ]So if this law goes ahead would it be the only country in western world in which priests would have to break the seal? 
yup. ironic and sad.

saddest of all is majority of the population probably sides with the government
If the Irish priests have the balls they did under English persecution, this shouldn't even be an issue. 
Pages: 1 2