FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Bishop Edward Slattery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Does anyone know anything about this Bishop? I heard he Celebrated a TLM last year. I just friended him on Facebook and about the only thing I disagree with him so far on is he is pro illegal aliens. Also, supposedly he celebrates all his Masses at the Cathedral Ad orientum.

I know he spoke against Notre Dame's invitation to Obama

http://popinainteasy.blogspot.com/2009/0...-down.html
He celebrated the Solemn Pontifical for B16's anniversary at the Shrine in D.C. He was the last minute Hoyos replacement.
[Image: Cappa+Magna.jpg]
Except for the pro illegal alien stuff, Slattery is pretty orthodox.
He's a trad friendly Bishop who does trad ordinations , he just gave the Fssp in the Tulsa diocese a former seminary of some nuns that they can use
Is he pro illegal immigration, or pro immigration?  I've noticed some people get the two confused...
Start another thread on that !!!!!
(07-17-2011, 11:59 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]He's a trad friendly Bishop who does trad ordinations , he just gave the Fssp in the Tulsa diocese a former seminary of some nuns that they can use

Yes and place is huge. However due to growth of the fraternity though they may need to build more dorms very soon.
I've served EF Masses for His Excellency on a few occasions, and I've conversed with him briefly. I have great admiration for him, as he has made some unpopular decisions (in favor of tradition) in his diocese, and many of his priests have reacted with disdain. I sensed the suffering in his tone as he spoke of this, like on old tired warrior. But he has stuck to his guns, and he has become more and more trad over the years. Masses in his cathedral are offered ad orientem exclusively. He has also instituted the practice of holding Solemn Vespers at the cathedral every Sunday.  As previously noted, he is extremely friendly towards the FSSP, and who can forget that he is responsible for allowing the Benedictines at Clear Creek to set up in his diocese.
He is also very supportive of Clear Creek. We need more of him. God be with him!
(07-17-2011, 11:59 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]Is he pro illegal immigration, or pro immigration?  I've noticed some people get the two confused...

This is from Wiki so take it for what it's worth...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_James_Slattery

Illegal immigrants
In 2006, Slattery said that if a law was passed criminalizing the act of aiding illegal immigrants "then [he] will become a criminal," adding, "When it becomes a crime to love the poor and serve their needs, then I will be the first to go to jail for this crime, and I pray that every priest and every deacon in this diocese will have the courage to walk with me into that prison."[4] In 2007, he issued a 21-page pastoral letter in which he condemned Oklahoma House Bill 1804, a strict anti-illegal immigration law which Slattery claimed creates "an atmosphere of repression and terror."

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5