FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Bishop O'Connell is a staunch TLM supporter!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well tonight I just had the privilege to attend the sung Low Mass at Holy Cross Church in Rumson, NJ.  During the sermon Fr. Manning mentioned that Bishop O'Connell wishes to have "several" church's in each county(Trenton encompasses 4 counties) within the Diocese of Trenton to offer the TLM!!  I was quite shocked and elated to hear this, but I still believe something as extraordinary as this could face an uphill battle... Perhaps some young FSSP seminarians could look into their Diocese to do Mass eventually??

Let us pray for Bishop O'Connell that he could accomplish this!! Pray
Pray
If he wants to do this then the first step is providing training in the Old Rite for any willing priests and all of his seminarians. Great news though! We're currently petitioning to have a weekday Trad Mass said in the Cathedral of our diocese.
Unbelievable News!!!  Bishop O'connell though does not have a seminary in the Trenton diocese , he proably sends his priest canidates to either St. Charles Borromeo  Seminary in Philadelphia or Mt. St. Marys Seminary in Maryland , you may check those places to see if they have started teaching the ExtraOrdinary Rite and Latin to the seminarians. Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray
(07-18-2011, 12:02 AM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]Unbelievable News!!!   Bishop O'connell though does not have a seminary in the Trenton diocese , he proably sends his priest canidates to either St. Charles Borromeo  Seminary in Philadelphia or Mt. St. Marys Seminary in Maryland , you may check those places to see if they have started teaching the ExtraOrdinary Rite and Latin to the seminarians. Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray

Fr. Manning did mention in his sermon that there is one priest who is teaching the 1962 Latin Rite at one of the seminaries.. He did not say which one though!
Awesome  Pray
That is indeed very encouraging news. One great example of the great things that could be accomplished is the diocese of Arlington which oddly enough sits right next to the diocese of Washington DC which is extremely unfriendly if not outright hostile to the TLM. Still in the diocese of Arlington at least 45% of the parishes offer the TLM in one way or another and that is not say that the Bishop is friendly to tradition, I think he is simply indifferent. However to have a Bishop actually visibly promoting the TLM could bear amazing amount of good fruit.

We can only pray.
(07-18-2011, 01:06 AM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]That is indeed very encouraging news. One great example of the great things that could be accomplished is the diocese of Arlington which oddly enough sits right next to the diocese of Washington DC which is extremely unfriendly if not outright hostile to the TLM. Still in the diocese of Arlington at least 45% of the parishes offer the TLM in one way or another and that is not say that the Bishop is friendly to tradition, I think he is simply indifferent. However to have a Bishop actually visibly promoting the TLM could bear amazing amount of good fruit.

We can only pray.

Wow, 45% in the Diocese of ArlingtonHuh? That is a lot when you come to think about it.

I do know the former Bishop of Trenton, +Smith was hostile to the TLM, but yet there were still a few Masses that offered it in his diocese... I believe he thought Fr. Manning was a pre Vatican II kook for wanting to offer it! Talk about charity!!  Rolling eyes Crazy