FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Good Night, Knights!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Wow! I'm starting to wonder about their insurance program, too. It's starting to seem a little shady. I hope I'm wrong!
Since January, I have been working my butt off to form a council at my parish. We were officially instituted in March and I am the Charter Grand Knight. For those of you familiar with the Order, you know this is a very prestigious position. I have been to countless meetings since I formed the council and I've had a rude awakening in regards to the amount of money that is in the organization. I've been feeling the same way as Voris but hearing about the two senators not being rebuked is the final straw for me.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck. I am Grand Knight until next July and I don't  think I can leave the guys hanging. What would you guys do?
(07-20-2011, 12:38 PM)damooster Wrote: [ -> ]Since January, I have been working my butt off to form a council at my parish. We were officially instituted in March and I am the Charter Grand Knight. For those of you familiar with the Order, you know this is a very prestigious position. I have been to countless meetings since I formed the council and I've had a rude awakening in regards to the amount of money that is in the organization. I've been feeling the same way as Voris but hearing about the two senators not being rebuked is the final straw for me.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck. I am Grand Knight until next July and I don't  think I can leave the guys hanging. What would you guys do?

Hang in there.Use your position to raise the concerns surrounding the KOC and maybe you'll get kicked out before your term expires.  Win win there.

(07-20-2011, 12:27 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: [ -> ]Wow! I'm starting to wonder about their insurance program, too. It's starting to seem a little shady. I hope I'm wrong!

The crux of Mr. Voris' complaint is that one guy who was attempted to be kicked out, but the International Office wouldn't let them.  We've discussed this several times on FE, and it comes down to this: if the bishop doesn't excommunicate a publicly pro-abort "Catholic", then the local chapter doesn't have that authority either. In other words, it's the bishop's job to decide who is an is not a "practical Catholic", not a lay organization. The failure here is with the ordinary, not the organization.  Likewise for the two gay marriage state senators in New York.

The other complaints about the leadership making too much money is pithy class-warfare and Mr. Voris should be above that.  Alas, it doesn't appear that he is.

Also, the Knights of Columbus's main goal has never been, ostensibly, to defend the Church.  They're not like the Knights of Malta or the Knights Hosipitaler.  Their goal is to defend the Catholic family... and specifically, monetarily.  The organization was to provide for Catholic widows who were destitute once Catholic husbands passed away.  If they take other roles, it's still secondarily to their primary goal as a family organization.

That said, I wish my local insurance rep would quit bothering me to convert my term life insurance into whole life insurance, and to quit trying to get me to take out life insurance on my 10-month-old daughter.  That's the kind of bad insurance sales policies I expect from predatory salesmen, not my KofC rep.
(07-20-2011, 12:38 PM)damooster Wrote: [ -> ]I've been feeling the same way as Voris but hearing about the two senators not being rebuked is the final straw for me.

It's not the KofC's job to rebuke its members for (publicly) unCatholic behavior. It's the bishop's job. Focus on your own business and leave the excommunicating to the excommunicators.

This is the failure of the Church to enforce it's own discipline.  Not a failure of the headquarters.
Yes the Catholic World today is full of Judas Iscariot's but apparently the pay is far above the 30 pieces of silver these days!
(07-20-2011, 12:45 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-20-2011, 12:38 PM)damooster Wrote: [ -> ]I've been feeling the same way as Voris but hearing about the two senators not being rebuked is the final straw for me.

It's not the KofC's job to rebuke its members for (publicly) unCatholic behavior. It's the bishop's job. Focus on your own business and leave the excommunicating to the excommunicators.

This is the failure of the Church to enforce it's own discipline.  Not a failure of the headquarters.

It's a failure to uphold and defend the Catholic faith at all levels regardless of ones state or station.A Catholic organization,regardless of its purpose, in failing to defend the faith as public witness to the reality of the nature of salvation,is seriously at fault and demonstrating a keen lack of Caritas amongst other things.Forget excommunication,a simple kicking out would send the right message.

Matthew  15   "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt lose its savour, wherewith shall it be salted? It is good for nothing any more but to be cast out, and to be trodden on by men. [14] You are the light of the world. A city seated on a mountain cannot be hid. [15]  Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but upon a candlestick, that it may shine to all that are in the house."

It seems the compartmentalization of Faith is part of the Marxist, P.C. poison infecting our society these days.
(07-20-2011, 12:45 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]

Its a fraternal organization that requires one to be a practical Catholic. If you are a politician and you vote for gay marriage, you are not a practical Catholic. I don't need a bishop to tell me this.

I'm not going to waste my time protesting gay marriage under the K of C banner if the leadership is unwilling to do the same.

I will do my due dilligence: I will write to Carl Anderson and ask for an explanation and I will write those two senators. I will decide how to proceed from there.
(07-20-2011, 12:54 PM)damooster Wrote: [ -> ]Its a fraternal organization that requires one to be a practical Catholic. If you are a politician and you vote for gay marriage, you are not a practical Catholic. I don't need a bishop to tell me this.

Except that you do.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5