FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Papal names
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I was thinking -- daydreaming, you might say.

Well, as you probably already know, for the last 10 or so centuries, most Popes (with a couple exceptions) have taken a papal name upon election, whereas before then most Popes (with a couple exceptions) kept their baptismal names.

So anyhow, I was thinking, and it popped into my head, I wonder if there will ever be a pope who combines the two customs -- i.e. takes a papal name that contains his baptismal name (as for example if Paul Cardinal SomebodyOrOther was elected Pope and took the name Pope John Paul III)?

(I don't expect this thread to go very far, just thought that was interesting to ponder.)
I don't know but it's not very likely. The custom of taking a regnal name has a longstanding tradition attached to it.

I miss having an Urban or Eugene on the throne, though.
I keep praying the next pontiff will take the name of Pope Francis I, committed to rebuilding the church.
Speaking of Papal names, I wonder why no Pope has taken the name Peter II?

Aside from the obvious argument that it might be seen as a sign of a lack of humilty [which I do not think it is] is there some rule against this?
(07-30-2011, 12:24 PM)dan hunter Wrote: [ -> ]Speaking of Papal names, I wonder why no Pope has taken the name Peter II?

Aside from the obvious argument that it might be seen as a sign of a lack of humilty [which I do not think it is] is there some rule against this?

It has long been considered a tradition that if a Pope takes the name Peter it would signal the end of the world and the end of the Church. It is believed the Church started with Peter and will end with Peter II.
Is this from the prophecy of St Malachi or does Church Tradition teach this?
Lando has always been my favorite papal name, but maybe its because im a star wars fan
(07-30-2011, 12:24 PM)dan hunter Wrote: [ -> ]Speaking of Papal names, I wonder why no Pope has taken the name Peter II?

Pietro Campanora was elected Pope in 983, but took the name John XIV.
(07-30-2011, 11:39 AM)Peter J Wrote: [ -> ]I was thinking -- daydreaming, you might say.

Well, as you probably already know, for the last 10 or so centuries, most Popes (with a couple exceptions) have taken a papal name upon election, whereas before then most Popes (with a couple exceptions) kept their baptismal names.

So anyhow, I was thinking, and it popped into my head, I wonder if there will ever be a pope who combines the two customs -- i.e. takes a papal name that contains his baptismal name (as for example if Paul Cardinal SomebodyOrOther was elected Pope and took the name Pope John Paul III)?

(I don't expect this thread to go very far, just thought that was interesting to ponder.)

Pope Paul VI's Baptismal name was Giovanni (John in Italian) Battista Montini, yet instead of taking the name John XXIV, he chose Paul VI. I think I remember reading somewhere that a Pope now can't use his Baptismal name, but I don't know if that's true or not.

I'd like to see another Urban, Nicholas, Boniface, Sylvester, or even a Gregory on the throne, for that matter.
If I recall it was an early Pope who was named after a pagan god like Mars or Apollo who thought it was wrong to have a name based on a false religion as part of the papacy.  I'll look it up if I have the time and opportunity to find out for sure.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5