FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Woman Preaching
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 2n8pnbm.jpg]
All I can find is that it was painted by the Master of the Magdalen Legend (and even that I'm not sure).  I don't really understand the subject matter though - is that Mary Magdalene telling people what happened?  Otherwise...I can't say I've ever been that taken in by Medieval Dutch Gnosticism.
(07-31-2011, 11:42 AM)Pheo Wrote: [ -> ]All I can find is that it was painted by the Master of the Magdalen Legend (and even that I'm not sure).  I don't really understand the subject matter though - is that Mary Magdalene telling people what happened?  Otherwise...I can't say I've ever been that taken in by Medieval Dutch Gnosticism.

It was just a painting called "Mary Magdalen Preaching" that I saw at an art gallery recently.  Wink
(07-31-2011, 07:05 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 2n8pnbm.jpg]

I luv it.  LOL All the woman and one man all listen intently. The rest of the men are like, "Hey, wait a minute."  >sad Sorta like Fisheaters.

Medieval Dutch Gnosticism? Really Pheo?

And who is that in the far ground kneeling?
Dr Johnson said that a woman preaching is like a dog walking. One is not surprised that it is done badly as much as one is surprised that it is done at all. Smile Smile
(07-31-2011, 07:15 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: [ -> ]Medieval Dutch Gnosticism? Really Pheo?

Wait, what?

The painting seems to be used on a few Da Vinci Code type sites (e.g. ones site that hosts it is "oracelofthegrailcode.com").  I was saying that if this was some attempt by the artist to show that Mary Magdalene was actually the original head of the Church or something, I wasn't all that interested.  But I honestly don't know what it's about.
There's a couple of strange things in the background.  Freud anyone?
I hardly doubt that Mary megdalene went around dressed as a renaissance Medici princess. Thats my art critique. Now as to women preaching lets leave that to the lesbos in the Episcopal Church. One thin I also caught is there is a ship in the back. There is a legend that Mary Megdalene went to France and lived there and died. And no its not the gnostic crap. Its an actual tradition about her among many that she went to France lived there as a female hermit. And told her story to people. Thats what I am guessing is going on here. Its kinda confusing at first glance because the people are dressed in renaissance fashions. To me the men dont look angry like us about a woman preaching but more surprised at what she is saying at least that how I see it.
(07-31-2011, 08:42 PM)Pheo Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2011, 07:15 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: [ -> ]Medieval Dutch Gnosticism? Really Pheo?

Wait, what?

The painting seems to be used on a few Da Vinci Code type sites (e.g. ones site that hosts it is "oracelofthegrailcode.com").  I was saying that if this was some attempt by the artist to show that Mary Magdalene was actually the original head of the Church or something, I wasn't all that interested.  But I honestly don't know what it's about.

Yes, St. Mary Magdalen is telling people about the Resurrection, as can be seen from the empty tomb with a peacock in the background. This can also be known because she's traditionally been thought to have gone and preached the Resurrection to people, an extension of what Scripture records her doing: "Magdalen cometh, and telleth the disciples: I have seen the Lord, and these things he said to me." Think the red egg story. The painting is really just a depiction of what St. Mary Magdalen has always been thought to have done. I doubt the Renaissance painter had any nefarious agenda. I think it's hilarious that some people are afraid it's an example of heretical ideas about women in the Church!