FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Traditional Catholicism As Revival Movment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
American history is littered with untold numbers of revival movements.  From the Puritan founders of Massachusetts to Pastor Rick Warren and his purpose driven life, religious revival is as American as mom and apple pie. 

But, lately I have begun wonder whether traditional Catholicism should be considered a revival as well.   

Religious revivals come in many forms, but at the center of them all is a desire to "get back to that old time religion." In addition, practically all of them stressed the importance of conversion. 

Traditional Catholicism certainly is trying to get back to the religion of immemorial, and I think most of us here have gone through our conversion experiences with perhaps the exception of the few here born into traditional Catholicism. 

I think this American tradition of revival might also help explain why traditional Catholicism is so strong in the United States.  Catholicism is a minority religion in the United States and has been a religion largely at the periphery of American history, yet the United States has one of the highest number of TLM's in the world.  Certainly far more than Catholic dominated Latin America.   

Thoughts?
(08-01-2011, 05:33 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]Thoughts?

I think your question would be more interesting if you connected it to pants somehow.
Father Bob's Traveling Traditional Roman Catholic Revival Mass Tent Meeting.

Give me that old time Mass in Latin with Gregorian Chant. Father's homily will be on HELL, and you're going on a rocket sled..

Proper attire required, men must have beards, and women can not wear pants.

tim
(08-01-2011, 06:04 PM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]Father Bob's Traveling Traditional Roman Catholic Revival Mass Tent Meeting.

Give me that old time Mass in Latin with Gregorian Chant. Father's homily will be on HELL, and you're going on a rocket sled..

Proper attire required, men must have beards, and women can not wear pants.

tim

Can I get an Amen my brothers and sisters. This.
Well, obviously this is a Catholic revival not an evangelical Protetsant one!
(08-01-2011, 07:09 PM)Beatissima Mariae Wrote: [ -> ]Can I get an Amen my brothers and sisters. This.

Amen!  :laughing:
American tent revival?  :puke:

Traditionalist Catholicism is more intellectual than that (and besides, it was born in France!). Further, it has nothing little to do with nostalgia, contrary to what you are implying. Mind you, it's bizarre that American religious revivals would be about a return to old religion, since they were Protestant and by that nature revolutionary. The only American religion that I can see has some similarity with Catholicism is Wesley's Methodism, as the man even read and admired The Imitation of Christ.

Now, if by "old religion" you mean emotional caveman religion, then I can see how American religious revivals had to do with that. But that is far from what the Catholic traditionalist movement is about. It seems to describe the 1960's mess, though.

(08-01-2011, 07:52 PM)m.PR Wrote: [ -> ]American tent revival?  :puke:

Traditionalist Catholicism is more intellectual than that (and besides, it was born in France!). Further, it has nothing little to do with nostalgia, contrary to what you are implying. Mind you, it's bizarre that American religious revivals would be about a return to old religion, since they were Protestant and by that nature revolutionary. The only American religion that I can see has some similarity with Catholicism is Wesley's Methodism, as the man even read and admired The Imitation of Christ.

Now, if by "old religion" you mean emotional caveman religion, then I can see how American religious revivals had to do with that. But that is far from what the Catholic traditionalist movement is about. It seems to describe the 1960's mess, though.

I am not implying that traditional Catholicism is about nostalgia. 

Revivalists have always believed that the faith has been hijacked by modernity (or crypto-Roman Catholics) and have sought to return back to the roots of Christianity. Obviously, evangelicals are wrong about what the nature of those roots are. 

I am thinking less tent revivals, and more about movements seeking to revive the faith among the people. 
(08-01-2011, 08:03 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]Revivalists have always believed that the faith has been hijacked by modernity (or crypto-Roman Catholics) and have sought to return back to the roots of Christianity. Obviously, evangelicals are wrong about what the nature of those roots are. 

Right. But they think tradition is bad and that things such as theology and rituals corrupt Faith. It is radically different from Catholic traditionalism, or from Catholicism period.
Restoration  would be a better term the. Revive
Pages: 1 2