FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What Missal Do You Use?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
I thought it would be interesting to know what kind of missal everyone is using...or not using.  And perhaps you could briefly state what you think of your missal. 

I use a 1961 Saint Joesph's Daily Missal. I really like its layout and art, but am disappointed that the propers are only provided in English. 
I own a 1951 daily hand missal by D. Gaspar Lefebvre

That's the one I occasionally use at mass.
(08-03-2011, 04:35 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]I thought it would be interesting to know what kind of missal everyone is using...or not using.  And perhaps you could briefly state what you think of your missal. 

I use a 1961 Saint Joesph's Daily Missal. I really like its layout and art, but am disappointed that the propers are only provided in English. 

I have the Baronius 1962-based Missal that came out in 2007 (I think).

I also have an awesome reprint from PCP of Blessed be God (I think it's the 1920 version but with calendar updated and St. Joseph put in the Canon prior to printing) -- I love this little book and use it more often than the larger hand missal.

(08-03-2011, 04:44 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]I also have an awesome reprint from PCP of Blessed be God (I think it's the 1920 version but with calendar updated and St. Joseph put in the Canon prior to printing) -- I love this little book and use it more often than the larger hand missal.

Would you be able to provide a link to this missal?

Edit: I think I found it. Is this only a Sunday Missal?

http://pcpbooks.net/product.php?id_product=55722
1956 St. Andrew's Daily Missal.  I use it all the time for Sunday and daily Mass.  It has great devotions plus it doesn't have the deformations which came out in the 1962 missal.
I love, love, love my ANgelus Press 1962 Missal!

All of the propers are provided in BOTH Latin and English.  I love the comments in the margins of the Ordinary of the Mass - so many wonderful explanations of the symbolism and meaning behind parts of the Mass, which makes it great for newbies!

So many prayers and devotions, SUnday vespers are included.  The rites for Baptism, confirmation, extreme unction, etc. 

As a matter of fact, I can't think of anything else they could have added - except the Luminous Mysteries to the Rosary, of course.  LOL (JK)
I have an Angelus Press '62 missal, but I do not typically use a missal at mass.  It seems fine to me - it has all of the information I need in it.  The one I got is genuine leather and I like it quite a lot more than the few I've held that were fake leather, fwiw.

Is it considered to be a bad thing if one does not use a missal at the traditional mass?  I've read that in the past some people would  say the rosary during Mass for instance.
I never get to go to the trad. mass so I don't know.
(08-03-2011, 05:27 PM)richness of tradition Wrote: [ -> ]Is it considered to be a bad thing if one does not use a missal at the traditional mass?   I've read that in the past some people would  say the rosary during Mass for instance.
I never get to go to the trad. mass so I don't know.

Not at all.  Using a missal is a devotion just as using a rosary is during Mass.  I've seen a few people who never open a missal during Mass at my parish - they observe what's going on at the altar and silently pray their own prayers.  I've also seen a few people who do pray the rosary as they look towards the altar during Mass.  Nothing wrong with any of these.
I use The New Roman Missal, edited by Fr. Lasance (1945).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10