FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Middle Ages Curiosity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

What are your recommendations for studying the Middle Ages beyond the modern stereotypes? Books, links blogs, audio books, I'm open to it all.

(08-03-2011, 11:49 PM)wallflower Wrote: [ -> ]What are your recommendations for studying the Middle Ages beyond the modern stereotypes? Books, links blogs, audio books, I'm open to it all.

'The Thirteenth the Greatest of Centuries', by William Thomas Walsh. Catholic and great. (available online)

'The Discarded Image', by C.S. Lewis
(08-04-2011, 12:02 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-03-2011, 11:49 PM)wallflower Wrote: [ -> ]What are your recommendations for studying the Middle Ages beyond the modern stereotypes? Books, links blogs, audio books, I'm open to it all.

'The Thirteenth the Greatest of Centuries', by William Thomas Walsh. Catholic and great. (available online)

LOL I was PMing you as you were responding, we crossposted in a way.

Thank you for the recommendations. I love that the first is available online!
(08-04-2011, 12:14 AM)wallflower Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-04-2011, 12:02 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]

LOL I was PMing you as you were responding, we crossposted in a way.

Thank you for the recommendations. I love that the first is available online!

However I had the wrong Catholic Walsh. Not William Thomas, it's James J. and here's the link:

http://www2.nd.edu/Departments//Maritain.../walsh.htm
the founding of Christendom
the building of Christendom
the glory of Christendom
by warren carroll
for breath though the firs doesn't deal with the middle ages i include for scope
sip
I might start with "Those Terrible Middle Ages!: Debunking the Myths" by Regine Pernoud. http://www.amazon.com/Those-Terrible-Mid...0898707811

Regine has a number of other medieval history books including "The Crusaders" and "The Templars: Knights of Christ". You can just look those up on Amazon or whatever.

I consider myself a medieval romanticist, but even after you pull back all the myths and black legends, there are still a lot of reasons why a 21st century citizen probably wouldn't want to actually live during those times.
If you have a Kindle, the Lewis book is available at Amazon for $4.99.
I recommend the following books:

God’s Philosophers by James Hannam is a relatively new book (came out in 2009) which deals with the Catholic origin of science in the Middle Ages. Hannam  has a PhD from Cambridge, and makes a rather convincing case linking the growth of modern day science to attitudes first espoused by medieval natural philosophers.  He also attempts to put forth how the very modern notion of the incompatibility of science and religion arose; a very, very, good book.

Also, it would be very hard to separate the Middle Ages from its art, so I recommend Emile Male’s seminal classic of art history, The Gothic Image: Religious Art in France of the Thirteenth Century. The genius of Male’s book is in his superb exposition of the symbolism and deep, sacramental imprint of the art of the Middle Ages.  Chock full of information too.

Finally, although written by an agnostic, I enjoyed Jacques LeGoff’s  The Birth of Purgatory very much. In a nutshell the book is a “biography” of sorts of the idea of Purgatory, its precursors, development, and finally apotheosis. As I’ve said, it’s written from a secular point of view, but if you can get past that, it’s an excellent piece of historical writing.
This is also very good: The Medieval Mind' by Henry Osborn Taylor.

http://www.archive.org/details/mediaeval...02taylgoog

Jacques Le Goff's "Medieval Civilization" is a good general resource. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4