FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Catholics and non-Catholic friends
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I was wondering if posters here who converted (or reverted) to Catholicism could tell me how this affected their friendships. I'm not talking about arguments due to religion, but if it had any significant impact on how close you were or how much you could talk about? Positive or negative.
When I rediscovered the faith of my baptism it ended most of my friendships or changed their nature to be much more distant. This was during high school.
I've never distanced myself from my friends, but since I began to take the Faith seriously, they have distanced themselves from me.
(08-04-2011, 01:26 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]I've never distanced myself from my friends, but since I began to take the Faith seriously, they have distanced themselves from me.

That's an excellent way to put it.
(08-04-2011, 01:31 PM)wallflower Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-04-2011, 01:26 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]I've never distanced myself from my friends, but since I began to take the Faith seriously, they have distanced themselves from me.

That's an excellent way to put it.

Yes, it is.

Not everyone, but yes I see that too with me!
(08-04-2011, 12:10 PM)Aragon Wrote: [ -> ]I was wondering if posters here who converted (or reverted) to Catholicism could tell me how this affected their friendships. I'm not talking about arguments due to religion, but if it had any significant impact on how close you were or how much you could talk about? Positive or negative.

Nearly all of my friendships have been formed after I already became a trad, so my friends see it as a (perhaps quirky) part of who I am.
(08-04-2011, 12:10 PM)Aragon Wrote: [ -> ]I was wondering if posters here who converted (or reverted) to Catholicism could tell me how this affected their friendships. I'm not talking about arguments due to religion, but if it had any significant impact on how close you were or how much you could talk about? Positive or negative.

I converted in college, I lost one friend from high school but I don’t think that was the reason...she was pretty mentally unbalance and it was hard to be her friend in the first place...but certain things pertaining to my Faith made the cut off permanent. My roommate is a friend of mine from high school. We aren’t as close as we used to be but we are one very good terms, and still enjoy each others company. The college friends I’ve made were all post conversion. They are all either Protestant (non-practicing) or Atheist. They “tolerate” by beliefs even though they disagree with a lot of my views. Subsequently they leave me out of (not talk to me about) the immoral parts of their lives. Since graduation we’ve grown apart because there are certain events I can’t be apart of, so we see a lot less of each other than when we were in school.
Two points. When I became a Catholic many of my Orthodox friends refused to speak to me because of my 'treason'. And after I married a liberal non-practising Catholic when I was just a conservative NO Catholic (thinking I could change her, as she thought she could change me) I continued on the road to Traddom. One of the reasons she 'divorced' me was that I belonged to a Church 'that no longer existed' and she couldn't stand it. Of course, by then she had moved pretty much into neo-paganism.
(08-04-2011, 07:43 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]Two points. When I became a Catholic many of my Orthodox friends refused to speak to me because of my 'treason'. And after I married a liberal non-practising Catholic when I was just a conservative NO Catholic (thinking I could change her, as she thought she could change me) I continued on the road to Traddom. One of the reasons she 'divorced' me was that I belonged to a Church 'that no longer existed' and she couldn't stand it. Of course, by then she had moved pretty much into neo-paganism.

But at least you now serve the true King, Christ our Lord
Pages: 1 2 3