FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Religion on the rise in Russia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Russia is the most religious nation in Europe, which explains why Pope Benedict XVI wants to establish an alliance to protect Christian values against pervasive secularism
Marco Tosatti
Rome
[Image: 02a-kirov-oblast-procession-90-kilometres-long-1.jpg]

A huge majority of Russians believe in God: 82% according to a report published by the Public Opinion foundation and Wednesday, a sociological institute associated with the synod of the orthodox Russian church for youth.  The report has a database of responses gathered during the last few months from 1,500 people from the age of 18 years and older and residing in 44 regions in Russia.

http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/hom...zione-264/
Gotta love poetic justice. Smile

Karl Marx Monument Dismantled, To Be Replaced By Cathedral
http://penzanews.ru/en/society/50214-2011

[Image: marxm.jpg]
I'm sticking with my guess that the Russians convert and rid the world of modern bullshit.
(08-05-2011, 03:54 AM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sticking with my guess that the Russians convert and rid the world of modern bullshit.

As do I. My humble guess is that the Consecration of Russia to our Lady's Immaculate Heart will accomplish this very end.
I hate Eastern Orthodoxy, but it's way better than modern secularism.

The enemy of my enemy, I guess.
(08-05-2011, 03:57 AM)Joshua Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-05-2011, 03:54 AM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sticking with my guess that the Russians convert and rid the world of modern bullshit.

As do I. My humble guess is that the Consecration of Russia to our Lady's Immaculate Heart will accomplish this very end.

Amen!
(08-05-2011, 03:51 AM)Marc Wrote: [ -> ]Gotta love poetic justice. Smile

Karl Marx Monument Dismantled, To Be Replaced By Cathedral
http://penzanews.ru/en/society/50214-2011

[Image: marxm.jpg]

Even better is how according to the article, that specific spot is right where they'll put the altar!  Loving it!
My experience of Russian Orthodox laity is that for 90% of those who call themselves religious or believe in God, and I am talking about people who attend churches on holidays but not Sundays, what they are actually motivated by is a sort of comforting superstition.  They view religion as a sort of lucky charm and have icons in their houses to keep them safe from harm but they don't particularly life their lives as though their personal behaviour needs to meet some prescribed external moral code.  Except those rules they know and they wish to meet.

There is a lot of icon kissing and crossing yourself, but if you stepped up to them afterwards and asked, "why did you do that?" most couldn't really give you an answer.  "Because my Grandmother showed me to do it this way" or" because that is the way it is done", would be their answer.  They'd no little about the reasoning behind religion and care even less. That is the priest's job.  They pay him money, he prays for them, they go to Heaven with any luck.

That's not to denigrate them.  I dare say 400 years ago most Catholics in Western Europe were much the same.  It's just to put the "Rise in Religion" in Russia into content.  In a country where anything can happen and a lot has happened in living memory and where all the distractions and business of the western world are not so demanding on your time and where ideas of evolving from monkeys and individualism, and hedonism and rationalism are not such strong forces as they are in the west, it is hardly surprising that more people turn to religion as a form of national unity, identity and comfort.
I can't remember where in the OT this is , but God tells the Israelites to bring in the locals and give them strong drink (booze). They decline. God tells them to ask them why. They answer that our fathers taught us not to drink. God then laments that He wished the Israelites were like them and obeyed His mandates.
This is not to absolve the Russians you're speakin about, but the Holy Ghost will work on what is there.

tim
(08-05-2011, 04:41 AM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-05-2011, 03:57 AM)Joshua Wrote: [ -> ]

Amen!

I am in agreement as well.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5