FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Should Churches Have Gargoyles on Them?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
How would you feel if there was a new church being built and the architect announced he was going to plaster the outside of the church with demonic images?

[Image: gargoyles%20notre%20dame.jpg]
Eres tu, Pedro?
(08-05-2011, 12:47 PM)Texican Wrote: [ -> ]Eres tu, Pedro?

Woah, I brought Texican back!

But, it's a serious question. I understand the purpose of gargoyles in the middle ages. But, how would you feel about gargoyles on a modern church?
Yes. Lots of them. And ugly ones too.
Do we like Star Wars inspired gargoyles?

[Image: DarthVader1.jpg]
When did gargoyles go out of style? I have seen many Catholic churches in America dating from the 19th century, but never noticed any gargoyles. 
(08-05-2011, 12:48 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]

But, it's a serious question. I understand the purpose of gargoyles in the middle ages. But, how would you feel about gargoyles on a modern church?

I would love them--I just can't see one of those spaceships with gargoyles, so I guess it be a more traditional looking building.

I hope.
Sure, anything besides these bland brick boxes. Most churches are indistinguishable from an elementary school.

What exactly was the purpose of them? I've heard different things.

I think gargoyles on the outside of the church look much better then churches made from old office buildings.
(08-05-2011, 12:58 PM)K3vinhood Wrote: [ -> ]

What exactly was the purpose of them? I've heard different things.

I think gargoyles on the outside of the church look much better then churches made from old office buildings.

Gargoyles usually served utilitarian functions such as serving as spouts to prevent rain water from eroding the masonry of the building. Symbolically they represent the demons that prowl about the world that will never breach the gates of the Church. 

However, some disliked them at the time. Saint Bernard wrote:
Quote:What are these fantastic monsters doing in the cloisters before the eyes of the brothers as they read? What is the meaning of these unclean monkeys, these strange savage lions, and monsters? To what purpose are here placed these creatures, half beast, half man, or these spotted tigers? I see several bodies with one head and several heads with one body. Here is a quadruped with a serpent's head, there a fish with a quadruped's head, then again an animal half horse, half goat... Surely if we do not blush for such absurdities, we should at least regret what we have spent on them.
Pages: 1 2 3 4