FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: only children
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
what's the deal with only children? There are not many in the trad movement.

Anyway, is there a possibility that families with an only child might be looked down upon at TLMs?
(08-05-2011, 05:02 PM)love alabama Wrote: [ -> ]what's the deal with only children? There are not many in the trad movement.

Anyway, is there a possibility that families with an only child might be looked down upon at TLMs?

There's not too many only children because birth control isn't allowed by the Church, so true followers of Church law often have more than 1 child.

I don't think any family would be "looked down upon" for only having one kid, unless people assume they're using birth control or something then those people may look down upon them, but it'd be based of an unfair assumption most likely.
Better not be; I'll likely never have children for biological reasons  >_>

(08-05-2011, 05:02 PM)love alabama Wrote: [ -> ]what's the deal with only children? There are not many in the trad movement.

Justice Scalia is a trad and has nine children. Ironically, he is an only child.
I'm an only child and I have 3 children.
I am an only child, and I have not been looked down upon by my trad community. Sometimes it can be easy to judge, which is why we need to be careful as we do not know another family's circumstances (like in my instance, my parents married fairly late).
I'm a convert to being a trad and I only had one child.  It seemed to me that when people at my trad church ask me how many children I have and my reply is "one".  I get the reply of , "oh".  Of course I never got that when I was attending NO churches.

I wish things would have been different, but I can't change the past. 

Years ago, a regular poster here talked about having other Catholics look down on her for having only one child.  She wasn't able to have more children so it really hurt.  We had the same situation except our second is in Heaven.  Or Limbo.
It has never seemed to be an issue in my experience of traditional Catholic communities. At my community, people don't really ask those sorts of questions (because just because a parent/couple only bring one child to Mass doesn't necessarily mean there aren't other kids elsewhere - plenty of Catholic parents struggle greatly to get their children to go to Mass), but there are much-loved and well respected members of the community who only have one child. My experience of different trad communities is limited, but I've been told that there are some parishes/communities in which the people focus on 'externals', i.e., number of children, dress, skirt lengths, hair, etc, more than others.
(08-06-2011, 01:48 AM)Raskolnikov Wrote: [ -> ]It has never seemed to be an issue in my experience of traditional Catholic communities. At my community, people don't really ask those sorts of questions (because just because a parent/couple only bring one child to Mass doesn't necessarily mean there aren't other kids elsewhere - plenty of Catholic parents struggle greatly to get their children to go to Mass), but there are much-loved and well respected members of the community who only have one child. My experience of different trad communities is limited, but I've been told that there are some parishes/communities in which the people focus on 'externals', i.e., number of children, dress, skirt lengths, hair, etc, more than others.

No doubt that is true.  There are sola skirtura trads.  Others don't think women must always wear skirts.  What people believe is more important than the externals.

Pages: 1 2