FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Mass and Confession
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Greetings everyone!

I have been wondering for quite some time about how the Mass and Confession are related. I know that the Mass is offered for the forgiveness of sins. I guess that encompasses all sins, be it venial or mortal, but we are only forgiven of venial sins in mass and we cannot receive communion with mortal sin. In Confession, we are forgiven of mortal sins. Does this mean that the sacrifice of the Mass somewhat allows or is the source for  the forgiveness of mortal sins in Confession? If not, I would like to know how are they related.

Thanks everyone.

+ Benedicat Nobis Deus +
(08-07-2011, 05:53 AM)LorenzoMdeVera Wrote: [ -> ]Greetings everyone!

I have been wondering for quite some time about how the Mass and Confession are related. I know that the Mass is offered for the forgiveness of sins. I guess that encompasses all sins, be it venial or mortal, but we are only forgiven of venial sins in mass and we cannot receive communion with mortal sin. In Confession, we are forgiven of mortal sins. Does this mean that the sacrifice of the Mass somewhat allows or is the source for  the forgiveness of mortal sins in Confession? If not, I would like to know how are they related.

Thanks everyone.

+ Benedicat Nobis Deus +

In the old days, the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass would bring down graces from Heaven for the conversion of sinners.

In the old days, Confession would forgive mortal sins leaving your soul clean so you could receive Holy Communion in the Mass.

Thanks everyone.

+ Benedicat Nobis Deus +

All Masses are a participation in the Sacrifice of the Cross. It is that Sacrifice which forgives all sin, so yes, Holy Mass is the source for the forgiveness of mortal sins in the Confessional.
Both sacraments are established by Christ, who administers them to His people through the instrument of the priest. The Mass and confession are related in such a way as to be in tandem. Confession renews the soul to receive our Lord in the Eucharist. The Holy Trinity lives within us. The Eucharist strengthens us to resist temptations and to participate more closely in the life of Christ. The sacrifice of Calvary makes confession possible. Confession allows us to continually go back to the well spring of Mass. They are mutually supportive, with the sacrifice of Christ being central too all. That is why frequent reception of the Eucharist, and frequent confession are advised, so that you will scales the heights of sanctity while receiving these two often. The rational is that we sin often, so we should seek the remedies often. I can go on ad infinitum on this. The relation of all the sacraments to each other is very profound and mysterious.
(08-07-2011, 05:38 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks everyone.

+ Benedicat Nobis Deus +

All Masses are a participation in the Sacrifice of the Cross. It is that Sacrifice which forgives all sin, so yes, Holy Mass is the source for the forgiveness of mortal sins in the Confessional.

That's basically right.  But  I don't know if  "participation" is the right word.  The Mass IS the Sacrifice of Calvary mystically re-enacted by Christ in an unbloody manner.

(08-08-2011, 04:00 PM)Doce Me Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-07-2011, 05:38 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]All Masses are a participation in the Sacrifice of the Cross. It is that Sacrifice which forgives all sin, so yes, Holy Mass is the source for the forgiveness of mortal sins in the Confessional.
That's basically right.  But  I don't know if  "participation" is the right word.  The Mass IS the Sacrifice of Calvary mystically re-enacted by Christ in an unbloody manner.

The Mass IS the sacrifice which we participate in.
(08-08-2011, 04:00 PM)Doce Me Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-07-2011, 05:38 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks everyone.

+ Benedicat Nobis Deus +

Bad choice of words on my part. I noted elsewhere Bishop Sheens remark that, at the Words of Consecration, 'Time and space are ripped away and we stand on the Hill of Calvary. There is only ONE Mass, continued through time by every Celebration.
(08-07-2011, 05:34 PM)wulfrano Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks everyone.

+ Benedicat Nobis Deus +

In the old days, the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass would bring down graces from Heaven for the conversion of sinners.

In the old days, Confession would forgive mortal sins leaving your soul clean so you could receive Holy Communion in the Mass.

In the old days, and still today!
(08-08-2011, 05:08 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-07-2011, 05:34 PM)wulfrano Wrote: [ -> ]In the old days, the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass would bring down graces from Heaven for the conversion of sinners.

QFT!
(08-08-2011, 05:19 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2011, 05:08 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-07-2011, 05:34 PM)wulfrano Wrote: [ -> ]In the old days, the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass would bring down graces from Heaven for the conversion of sinners.

QFT!

What does QFT mean?
Pages: 1 2