FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Almsgiving for Traditional Catholics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Our Lord Jesus commands us to give alms to the poor, but how are we in the current day able to give alms?  In my city, dozens of people daily sit along the sidebar begging for money.  Yet, they likely are not poor.  Some of them are average people that don't want to work and would rather sit outside all day to collect others' pocket change.  Others are drug addicts and alcoholics who seek money to support their addictions.  Surely our Lord is not calling us to support these.

Then how can we give alms when even Catholic Charities and other organizations are no longer truly Catholic?  I propose we start a thread of traditional Catholic organizations and projects (preferably 501©(3) organizations that could use the support of traditional Catholics.  Please post below information on ways for traditional Catholics to financially support other organizations.
I'm aware of only one current project.

Our Lady of Sorrows was established in 1980 when a small group of traditionalists purchased the current church site from a Protestant denomination. Over the years, Sunday attendance has steadily grown to an average of 550 faithful.

The property is 10.8 acres. It is primarily comprised of the current Protestant-designed church, a growing K-12 Catholic school for 75 students, and a 34-room retreat house.

Retreatants come from across North America to attend one or more of fourteen retreats each year. Phoenix also annually hosts one of the two priests' retreats. More than 35 priests and usually a bishop are in attendance.

The site also has a priory, other living quarters, a large athletic field, and an orange grove.

Four priests reside at Our Lady of Sorrows. They serve the parish as well as nearby missions.

With fundraising nearing the end, I would like to promote this initiative so that a chapel may be built in honor of our Lady under the title, Our Lady of Sorrows.  Please visit the site to help them in this noble cause.

http://ourladyofsorrows.org/
This isn't a Catholic charity, but it is effective. They give 95% of every dollar  directly to the poor in food and other essentials. They work like the Church and have next to nothing in adminstrative costs. The money goes direstly into the hands of the Catholic priests, or Anglican vicars, or othe Prot. ministers. They have a sort of Catholic lite approach, but I can not express this enough they are effective. Forbes has checked them out, and they are a very good charity. They are now starting to have a world wide presence. The other I like very much is the little Prot. minister that has feed the children.

Food for the Poor

http://www.foodforthepoor.org/

tim
Thank you all for this as I need to make "indirect restitution" for all my stealing before I reverted back to the Church.

Which leads me to my next question; even though I confessed my sins against the 7th and 8th Commandant I wasn't told until AFTER Confession that those sins weren't forgiven until complete restitution is made??  At the time I never realized they were mortal sins! So how much would i need to give thenHuh?Huh?
Here's what I did, and I was gone for about 35 years + and committed extremely grievous sins. I came to consecrating myself to the Sacred Heart and the Immaculate Heart. Every day I make an offering of everything and put them in the hands of Our Lady, that she may apply them to the interests of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Now you are giving everything you can, and instead of worrying about the ledger sheet you can concentrate on giving as much as you can, everyday. Then if you wear the brown scapular, observe chastity according to your state in life, and say the little office of the BMV, or ask a priest if a rosary is okay, Our Lady promised to release us from Purgatory soon after our death. Now it's all in the rear view mirror and I'm watching the road, driving better to my destination.

tim
Thanks Tim, that puts my mind at ease.

How do you consecrate yourself to Sacred Heart Everyday? I mean it's gotta be much more then just saying the words, right?
Crusader you get the material from lots of places like Fr. Gruner. He sent me pictures of the Sacred Heart, and Immaculate Heart, with the printed material without asking, for the Consecration. He was very nervous sending them through the mail, having been prayed over.  But let me tell you something scrupulosity starts with drilling down when there is no need. The corollary is this; the action you take and perserve in will bring the results you hope to achieve. I was scrupulous in the way back. Enough said. Action is the answer. I was squeamish about kissing my crucifix, I made a conscious effort ,as a symbol of my love, to do it. It will make you stronger and better. The Holy Ghost works on what and how you are and He builds. I'm not saying forget sins, but get in the car and drive, if you hit something you have insurance (confession) but as you drive, you'll get better and better , accidents will become minimal . His yoke is light. Remember a yoke is for two beasts or oxen, that's you and the other is Jesus. And just for fun there is a yoke which is still extant, which is believed to be the carpentry of Our Lord.

tim
(08-08-2011, 08:03 AM)acatholiclife Wrote: [ -> ]Our Lord Jesus commands us to give alms to the poor, but how are we in the current day able to give alms?  In my city, dozens of people daily sit along the sidebar begging for money.  Yet, they likely are not poor.  Some of them are average people that don't want to work and would rather sit outside all day to collect others' pocket change.  Others are drug addicts and alcoholics who seek money to support their addictions.  Surely our Lord is not calling us to support these.

Then how can we give alms when even Catholic Charities and other organizations are no longer truly Catholic?  I propose we start a thread of traditional Catholic organizations and projects (preferably 501©(3) organizations that could use the support of traditional Catholics.  Please post below information on ways for traditional Catholics to financially support other organizations.

There are a lot of good Catholic charitable organizations dedicated to helping the poor. I'd say it's generally better to give alms though them than to give it directly to beggars, for obvious reasons.

The following charitable organization has a priest who comes and preaches at various churches in our diocese during Lent. My family sponsors a couple of children through them and we have had good experiences: http://www.cfcausa.org/
I have always given directly to beggars. If they are cons, they'll have to explain, and if they are not, I'll have to explain.

tim
(08-08-2011, 03:42 PM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]I have always given directly to beggars. If they are cons, they'll have to explain, and if they are not, I'll have to explain.

tim
Thumb
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15