FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Why Do Trad Chapels Have Pews?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Why do trad chapels have pews if we barely sit in them during mass?
For the sermon? Pews are a Protestant convention.
(08-08-2011, 01:45 PM)piabee Wrote: [ -> ]For the sermon? Pews are a Protestant convention.

We should return to open Churches like in times past.
(08-08-2011, 01:45 PM)piabee Wrote: [ -> ]For the sermon? Pews are a Protestant convention.

Seems like quite the luxury for a 5-10 minute sermon!
Even without pews, there would still be chairs in part of the church.
(08-08-2011, 01:49 PM)piabee Wrote: [ -> ]Even without pews, there would still be chairs in part of the church.

So Catholics didn't use pews at all before the Reformation?
There are no official rubrics for the congregation, so people would kneel or stand. The elderly or infirm sat in chairs. (General absorbed knowledge; I have no official sources. HK will back me up, though.)
Why do Trads have chapels above ground?  We need to go old school: catcomb style!
Since the beggning of he church. There has always been places for the elderly and disabled to sit chairs  or benches ect
pews are a prod thing which makes sense for prods anyway
all hey do is a fellow ship shindig or sermon so makes sense for them
doesn't much make sense for us
ah well
But
few could knee traight backed wih n albows or support fo long. I do but hats because of my Mariam arts training and being able to knee walk wih n plm of inhav to. So keeping s straight back on me knees is asy
almos everyone else I see slouches on the back or pews for support or Hans foeamrs and elbows of hem
mmmmm
Does anyone else agree with me that it seems silly to spend so much money on pews when we barely use them?

Pews can't be cheap!

I am okay with buying some chairs for the elderly and pregnant women. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8