FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: sacrament name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
what is the proper name,

Sacrament of Penance or Sacrament of Reconciliation?
(08-08-2011, 02:36 PM)a83192 Wrote: [ -> ]what is the proper name,

Sacrament of Penance or Sacrament of Reconciliation?

"Si quis dixerit, sacramenta novae Legis non fuisse omnia a Jesu Christo Domino nostro instituta, aut esse plura vel pauciora, quam septem, videlicet baptismum, confirmationem, Eucharistiam, paenitentiam, extremam unctionem, ordinem et matrimonium, aut etiam aliquod horum septem non esse vere et proprie sacramentum: anathema sit."

The Council of Trent called the sacrament "Penance" in its dogmatic definition, so it would seem that is the most suitable name for it.
Both are fine I believe.

I strongly prefer Penance though. 
It can be Confession as well.
I seem NOT to recall St. Michael the Archangel, in the Fatima vision, shouting to the people on earth Reconciliation, Reconcilation, Reconciliation.
(08-08-2011, 04:21 PM)fatiam13 Wrote: [ -> ]I seem NOT to recall St. Michael the Archangel, in the Fatima vision, shouting to the people on earth Reconciliation, Reconcilation, Reconciliation.
this!
It must be said that there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the name "reconciliation" since that's the fruit of the sacrament: you are reconciled with God.

I personally prefer confession to sum it up.
(08-08-2011, 05:07 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]It must be said that there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the name "reconciliation" since that's the fruit of the sacrament: you are reconciled with God.

What have the Portuguese historically referred to the sacrament as?
(08-08-2011, 05:17 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2011, 05:07 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]It must be said that there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the name "reconciliation" since that's the fruit of the sacrament: you are reconciled with God.

Confession or Penance.
(08-08-2011, 05:18 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2011, 05:17 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]

Confession or Penance.

I was wondering what the Portuguese words were!
Pages: 1 2