FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Sanctus Candle.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I do not see a liturgical question category on FE, forgive me if I have overlooked it, but my question is: does the 1962 Missale Romanum call for the Sanctus Candle to be lit at Mass at the beginning of the Canon, at the Preface?
And if so why do I rarely see it done?
[When I serve the TLM I ask the priest if it is alright to light it and he always says yes.]
(08-08-2011, 05:10 PM)dan hunter Wrote: [ -> ]I do not see a liturgical question category on FE, forgive me if I have overlooked it, but my question is: does the 1962 Missale Romanum call for the Sanctus Candle to be lit at Mass at the beginning of the Canon, at the Preface?
[When I serve the TLM I ask the priest if it is alright to light it and he always says yes.]

The Sanctus candle is a matter of custom (I believe it's a Benedictine custom, but I could be wrong). It is usually lit at (surprise) the Sanctus! It is extinguished by one of the altar servers after the ablutions are finished and the priest has veiled the chalice.
(08-08-2011, 05:12 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2011, 05:10 PM)dan hunter Wrote: [ -> ]I do not see a liturgical question category on FE, forgive me if I have overlooked it, but my question is: does the 1962 Missale Romanum call for the Sanctus Candle to be lit at Mass at the beginning of the Canon, at the Preface?

The Sanctus candle is a matter of custom (I believe it's a Benedictine custom, but I could be wrong). It is usually lit at (surprise) the Sanctus! It is extinguished by one of the altar servers after the ablutions are finished and the priest has veiled the chalice.

I see it being lit by the altar server after the sanctus since the server has to ring the bells.

I've done this way myself when I served at mass.

I was told by an FSSP priest that I used to serve for that it was lit at the Preface.
He told me the Preface was originally part of the Sanctus.
(08-08-2011, 05:14 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]

I see it being lit by the altar server after the sanctus since the server has to ring the bells.

Interesting, thank you.
I was told to light the candle during the Preface, as there is about 40 seconds time for the priest to recite the prayer.
(08-08-2011, 05:14 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]

Sorry, that's actually what I meant. I too used to serve regularly at a parish that used a Sanctus candle.
Since it's just a custom, I guess there are no strict rules.

(08-08-2011, 05:20 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]Since it's just a custom, I guess there are no strict rules.
Thank you sir.
I did not know it was just custom and not part of the rubrics of Mass that was being overlooked a lot.
(08-08-2011, 05:25 PM)dan hunter Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2011, 05:20 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]Since it's just a custom, I guess there are no strict rules.
Thank you sir.
I did not know it was just custom and not part of the rubrics of Mass that was being overlooked a lot.

Liturgically, I think it makes the most sense on an altar where the Blessed Sacrament is not reserved (i.e. where there is no tabernacle). The Sanctus candle could be said to replace the function of the sanctuary lamp, signaling the Divine Presence.
1962 rubric says that where the custom prevails, let it continue:

530. Where the custom prevails of lighting a candle, near the altar, from the consecration to the communion, that custom should be preserved.
Pages: 1 2