FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Red Lamp Candle?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When was the red lamp first used in Catholic Churches to signal that our Lord was present there in the Eucharist? Does it go back to apostolic times?
I'm not sure as I not that old.  LOL
I think it even goes back to pre-Christian times. At my ex's synagogue the rabbi showed me a similar candle/red lamp thingie. I can't remember what she called it though or what it meant.
Deuteronomy 27:20 and following Wrote:[20] Command the children of Israel that they bring thee the purest oil of the olives, and beaten with a pestle: that a lamp may burn always, [21] In the tabernacle of the testimony without the veil that hangs before the testimony. And Aaron and his sons shall order it, that it may give light before the Lord until the morning. It shall be a perpetual observance throughout their successions among the children of Israel.

The tabernacle lamp still burns before the Lord, a testimony of His presence among us and of our faithfulness to Him.
(08-08-2011, 09:51 PM)Spooky Wrote: [ -> ]I think it even goes back to pre-Christian times. At my ex's synagogue the rabbi showed me a similar candle/red lamp thingie. I can't remember what she called it though or what it meant.

The lamp burned in synagogues represents God's "presence" in their places of worship.