FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: confession in NO
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Does anyone here go to confession in a NO church to a NO priest?  What are the differences compared with say the FSSP and SSPX priests?
(08-09-2011, 04:46 PM)love alabama Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone here go to confession in a NO church to a NO priest?  What are the differences compared with say the FSSP and SSPX priests?

Other than the Rite? In my experience it's the priest that makes the difference, not the Rite. I've had NO priests who were stricter than my FSSP confessors and the only SSPX priest I ever confessed to not particularly rigid.
i almost always go to confession to Diocesan or FSSP priests.

I have on occasion been to SSPX priests.

The only difference I notice, believe it or not, is that I have gotten better Catholic spiritual advice from Diocesan priests. Better than FSSP priests or SSPX priests.
Yes, it does depend a lot on the priest.  One thing I would say is be prepared for it to take a while!  Many parishoners and priests use this Sacrament as a time for "counseling".  I have run into priests who want to sit there and talk about "life".  For the most part, if I go into the confessional and kneel behind the screen, they get the hint that I am not there for a counseling time.  However, most people that will be in front of you in line will sit face to face and expect the priest to give them a lot of time - so be ready to wait.  
Gakmo,
Not to take this topic down a rabitt hole...the longest I have been in the box that I can recall is about 2 minutes.
I just state the formula, my sins, and say God bless you to the priest and get out.
I have been on confession lines where one person has stayed in for upwards of 15 minutes,
Maybe they have a lot of sins to confess or Father is advising them, but I am almost always in and out.
Fr. Corapi used to say it should take no more than a few minutes to confess your sins. He said there are only 10 commandments and it shouldn't take you that long to get through the 10 Commandments. Although, this doesn't take into account the times where priests might take more time to ask questions about particular sins or to give advice. I think the longest time I have spent in the confessional was with a priest from the St. Benedict Center in Still River and that was because he was giving me some really good advice.

Although I usually go to Confession with NO priests, its because the FSSP and SSPX are a long way away. In fact I have found the opposite to be true as far as "excellent confessions" is concerned. My FSSP and SSPX experiences have been SUPER. Not always so with diocesan.
I have found FSSP confessors to be significantly of higher quality than regular Diocesan priests, but as others  have said a lot of this will depend on the priest.  However, I think a key difference between traditional clergy and NO-only clergy is that traditional clergy tend to always offer time for confession before each and every mass, while NO-only clergy tend to devote only one hour out of the week toward confession. 
The Traditional priests training in their seminaries is of a higher quality, and tends to teach more from Catholic philosophy and morals. The Novus ordo has included lots of psychology training for their priests. So from what i have experienced going to both places for confession, the FSSP priests seem to be more concerned with your soul and will help with other problems, while the NO priests go straight to psychology and downplay church teaching. For instance if they think your scrupulous they will ignore talking about sin and hell as if you have a phobia, while the FSSP priest wont sidestep the ULTIMATE TRUTHS.
(08-09-2011, 07:24 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ](T)he NO priests go straight to psychology and downplay church teaching. .

In 30+ years of going to confession I've only had this happen once. I think you're oversimplifying and generalising.
Pages: 1 2