FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Is It a Sin for a Slave to Runaway?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Assuming slavery was legal, would it be a sin for a slave to run away and to try to attain his freedom? 
(08-09-2011, 08:28 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]Assuming slavery was legal, would it be a sin for a slave to run away and to try to attain his freedom? 
I'll let the smarter forum members answer, but I imagine it would depend on the circumstances of his slavery.
..................some wives when they leave their husbands believe they are the slave running from their master  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Hell no!  More of a sin to own a slave.
If the slavery is not voluntary, then no. 
(08-09-2011, 08:28 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]Assuming slavery was legal, would it be a sin for a slave to run away and to try to attain his freedom? 

Is the master a Christian? Read Philemon.
Has the church ever come out formally against slavery? I am sure that the Church has said things about fair and just treatment of slaves, workers, etc. But I am not sure about the allowance as having a slave.
(08-09-2011, 08:59 PM)verenaerin Wrote: [ -> ]Has the church ever come out formally against slavery? I am sure that the Church has said things about fair and just treatment of slaves, workers, etc. But I am not sure about the allowance as having a slave.

Vatican II condemned slavery. 

Pope Gregory XVI had previously in his papal bull In Supremo Apostolatus condemned "unjust" slavery, particularly race-based slavery, but didn't fully condemn slavery per se. 
In my own opinion, which is meager, I would think that there is a difference between voluntary slavery, and nonvoluntary. My thoughts being that if a person sells themself in order to obtain money to pay off a debt, then the enslavement is of their own doing, and it is their duty to meet the expectations. However, if a person, say a little girl, is sold by her parents and has no say in the matter, she has a right to attempt at running away. Just my .02  Smile
Is ownership of a slave a property right that needs to be respected, is really what you are asking.  And I suspect you are also asking specifically in the context of American pre Civil War slavery of Africans, and not slavery in general.

Within those parameters, Catholic teaching does enjoin us to obey a properly constituted civil power, as being reflective of God's ordered design of creation.  However, at the same time it binds us to reject the immoral.

Since freedom is the correct state of a human being - with his immortal soul, and made in the image and likeness of God - the slave does not sin by running away.

You might make a different argument, with the same conclusion, in re: the slavery of Jews under the Nazis, since it is not likely a property right was claimed under those circumstances.  And please, no thread derailment by the Holocaust deniers.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8