FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What would you say to when someone says:
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
1. There is no God

2. We will never know if there is a God or not

3. There is a God, but God did not found a religion

(08-10-2011, 06:10 PM)fantasy_forever Wrote: [ -> ]1. There is no God

My answer to 1 and 2 is the same: that there is ample evidence in philosophy history and logic that there is a God.  While that answer can in part be used for 3, especially history, the answer to that one is also that the issue is partially one of belief, and arguments from philosophy about the "goodness" of a given religion.  Most people who believe 3 are secular humanists or de facto agnostics anyway, which means after answering 1 and 2, one has to deal with why secular humanism is itself incorrect, partially through demonstration of its historical and contemporary fruits.
Depending on the approach of the questioner would almost certainly determine my responses. For example, if someone who made such claims in a passive manner, I would simply ask why they made those claims: "Why do you say that we will never know if there is a God or not? Because, if there actually is, but we simply don't know it, then we will actually know one day."

But if the person approached in a more confrontational manner, I would probably be a little more aggressive in my approach.

I would say: "It can be philosophically demonstrated that there is. If there is no God, then demonstrate it philosophically."

Quote:2. We will never know if there is a God or not

I would say: "How can you claim to know what you can never know? How can it be proved that one can know that he'll never know something?"

It is based on the answer to the first question, for if there is a God, then one can never say he will never know something (specifically).

Quote:3. There is a God, but God did not found a religion

I would say: "Good. Then you should be able to handily dismantle all of the evidence that indicates He did. Where would you like to begin?"
Pascal's Wager.

1. Yes there is.
2. I know so.
3. Yes He did.

(If I were in a good mood, I might add, "if you have actual arguments to back up your assertions, I'd be happy to discuss them...")
(08-10-2011, 08:18 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: [ -> ]Pascal's Wager.

No, definitely don't use that.
"You'll see."
I once dealt with a girl in school who was a lapsed Catholic turned agnostic. I just bore witness to the faith and planted the seed. Only the Holy Ghost could do the work on her. She was angrily anti-Catholic and would bark "I'm not Catholic!" if I wished Merry Christmas. People that state what you state are either atheist or agnostic and are very closed minded in their view.Its easier to spread the faith to ignorant secularists who never heard of the faith.
Grab a gun, point at 'em, and tell 'em they're about to get a very rude wake-up call

:P

(kidding)
(08-10-2011, 10:52 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]"You'll see."

Awesome.  I am SO stealing this.
Pages: 1 2 3