FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Gay Priest being honored... a "Saint"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
I think the thing that is lost here is that he was a "Celibate" gay priest. And the thing about gay priests not being responsible for the homosexual priest scandal is absolute BS.

Rev. Mychal Judge, Gay '9/11 Saint,' To Be Honored By N.Y. Catholic Church

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/10...lp00000008

[Image: r-MYCHAL-JUDGE-911-large570.jpg]

By Sean Kirst
Religion News Service

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (RNS) Like most Americans, Brother Edmund Dwyer was stunned by early coverage of the 9/11 terrorist attacks on New York City and Washington, D.C. As he struggled to grasp the scope of the carnage, scrolling type along the bottom of his television screen announced the death of Rev. Mychal Judge, a legendary New York City fire department chaplain.

For Dwyer, a vast tragedy became painfully real.

"He was a saint," said Dwyer, 90, a retired Brother of the Christian Schools who resides at Christian Brothers Academy in DeWitt, N.Y. He worked closely with Judge during the 1980s, when both men comforted dying AIDS patients in New York City.

Judge was killed by flying debris at the World Trade Center.

"He always wore his Franciscan robes, and he had a smiling face and a beautiful manner," Dwyer said, recalling how Judge spent hours with young men who felt abandoned.

As a tribute to his friend, Dwyer is serving on a committee at All Saints Church in Syracuse, which intends to honor Judge with a memorial.

The Rev. Fred Daley, pastor at All Saints, intends to ask local firefighters to attend the dedication. While the memorial will honor those killed on Sept. 11, Daley said the way Judge lived his life carries special meaning for the All Saints congregation.

Judge -- like Daley -- was a Catholic priest who publicly acknowledged that he was a celibate gay man. In June, after months of discussion, parishioners at All Saints voted 256-3 to offer a statement of welcome to gays, lesbians and transgender men and women. Daley said the vote meshes with his beliefs on what it means to be a Christian.

"More and more, I've been called in my spiritual life and in my heart to identify with the powerless and with the broken, and I think some of that comes from my own journey as a gay person," Daley said.

The Catholic Church teaches that homosexual acts are inherently wrong. While a new state law has legalized same-sex marriage in New York, the church does not recognize those ceremonies. Yet officials with the Diocese of Syracuse say embracing gay men and women at a parish does not contradict church teaching.

"Our hope is that all parishes are so welcoming, and it's certainly in line with who we are as Catholics," said Danielle Cummings, a diocesan spokeswoman.

Paul Lawrence, 76, an All Saints parishioner with a gay son, said family experience taught him a simple truth about the gay community: "Once you meet these folks, you wouldn't say they were gay or not gay," he said. "You'd just say they were awfully nice people."

Meg Ksander, a staff member at All Saints, said the journey toward the monument began last December, with a series of talks by parishioners who at some point felt excluded by the Catholic Church. The congregation was especially moved by the stories of several gay men and women, who spoke of how they'd spent their lives feeling ostracized.

As a result, Ksander said a parish committee came up with the statement of affirmation -- and with the idea of a statue.

"The parishioners were talking about how our young gay folk so often had no role models until recently, and (we) saw Mychal Judge as both an interesting person and the ultimate example of a role model," said Daley, now seven years since his own decision to reveal that he was gay.

He went public as a means of support for young people struggling with their own identity, he said, and to underline that gay priests are not the cause of the child abuse scandal in the church.

While he knows his story undoubtedly draws some gay parishioners to All Saints, he maintains the central factor is the open nature of the congregation.

"I was a Buddhist for many years, and now I'm a returning Catholic, and that's because of the message of (All Saints) which is so pure, so beautiful, so tolerant and so spiritual in the grandest sense of the word," said Michele Mosca-Wells, a gay member of the parish. She's also moved by the plans to build a statue of Judge, who to her symbolizes the mission of the church.

"It's a wonderful affirmation," she said, "of being an authentic Catholic community that embraces all and loves all."

(Sean Kirst writes for The Post-Standard in Syracuse, N.Y.)
He said he was celibate, thats the key. Hopefully, that was the case. Let God be the judge.
The thing is that the Church has always considered Homosexual men unfit for the priesthood, celibate or not. Their disorder makes it impossible to be the healthy normal masculine man needed in the priesthood so that they can act in persona Christi.

Pope John XXIII's order written in the 60's that Homosexuals be excluded from the priesthood is still on the books.
I think for you to disrespect a priest of god who died while giving the sacraments to a dying man is dispicable. The church is a hospital for sinners, and we hate the sin not the sinner. He was a celibate gay man, and was a great priest who brought many souls home to our lord.

I think you need to look at yourself and the way that you criticize this man who died 'feeding gods sheep'.
(08-11-2011, 12:31 PM)Fr.Deacon S Wrote: [ -> ]I think for you to disrespect a priest of god who died while giving the sacraments to a dying man is dispicable. The church is a hospital for sinners, and we hate the sin not the sinner. He was a celibate gay man, and was a great priest who brought many souls home to our lord.

I think you need to look at yourself and the way that you criticize this man who died 'feeding gods sheep'.

What I think is even more despicable is that there are legions of sodomites infesting the Church like a virus and it is their presence that is responsible for the sexual scandals/crimes that have taken place in the past 50 years.  When these homo's are finally removed by force or time it will be a great day of renewal for the Church....I do not trust homosexuals in any way shape or form, and certainly do not trust them being involved in the Sacred Priesthood...its similar for a married man to be working in a strip club,, NEAR OCCASSION OF SIN...
(08-11-2011, 12:31 PM)Fr.Deacon S Wrote: [ -> ]I think for you to disrespect a priest of god who died while giving the sacraments to a dying man is dispicable. The church is a hospital for sinners, and we hate the sin not the sinner. He was a celibate gay man, and was a great priest who brought many souls home to our lord.

He was unfit for the priesthood. The end does not justify the means. No matter what good celibate gay priests may provide, they undermine, defile, and disrespect the dignity of the sacred priesthood. They cannot act in persona Christi and take the place of Christ since they are not well adjusted normal men. It is a sacrilege against Christ that a disordered man can take the place of Christ and be said to be equal in the manhood of Christ. His masculinity was disordered and he could never be a true father.

Not everyman can be a priest nor has the right to be a priest. A priest has to be a normal man who is healthy, of sound mind, and be free of mental or medical conditions. Men who have schizophrenia, narcolepsy, or have been castrated cannot be priests. They have a condition that makes them unfit for the priesthood and is an automatic disqualifier. Homosexuality falls under these automatic disqualifiers.

This is about objective truth. This truth has always been seen in the tradition of the Church who has always excluded Homosexuals from the priesthood. Emotions and sympathy do not change truth. The Church has always been serious about the truth of the ontological nature of the priesthood.
He still was a priest and lived up to the calling
until u have something to condemn him on, u should point your spear ronthe chruch who ordained him not the Priest  himself. Of all rhe damage unrepentant sodomite priets and bile rapists have done to the church. Iits grossly unjust to put this priest in that box.
I have known drunkard priests who were scandal to the cloth with thier drinking yet the two I was close with were good priests and never let s soul down.
Condemn this priest for his actions not for the churchs delerium for ordaining him
my 02
RiP

n the thirteenth century many priests were involved in seeking wealth and having a pleasant life. They hardly preached at all, virtually never studied, and paid for important positions so that they could get even more money. A number of priests openly lived with women, causing great scandal. Some of the bishops lived in unbelievable wealth, and would sell Church positions to keep their rich life style. Many of the people were just as bad as their leaders.

As a result, many so-called prophets had appeared, some good, some not-so-good, who promised terrible punishments if people did not reform. Peter Waldo was one of the reformers who had a great beginning. He gave up his riches to live in poverty and spread the faith. He had many followers who also lived as poor men, and did penance. However, when they began to preach without permission against the lazy and sinful priests, the Archbishop of Lyons, France, excommunicated them.

The group, called the Waldensians, took their case to the pope, and he encouraged them. He praised Peter for living in poverty and gave him and his followers permission to urge the people to live moral and holy lives wherever the bishops allowed them to do so. But since they had not studied theology they were not permitted to explain the Bible or to instruct people in the faith. Unfortunately, they began to do both.

In time they got into all sorts of errors, such as placing their interpretation of the Bible over the authority of the pope, denying both purgatory, and veneration of the saints. They also refused to go to confession to immoral priests, preferring to confess to good people who were not priests. As a result, the Waldensians were excommunicated by the pope in 1184.

However, there were still a number of them going all over, spreading their errors. And, there were also the Albigensians or Cathari, as they were called in Italy, who condemned the material world as evil. As a result they denied the sacraments, and marriage in particular. Many people listened to both the leftover Waldensians and Cathari because they lived Gospel poverty, unlike the priests.

Despite their sincerity, and their living radical Gospel poverty, they all fell astray. They lost the faith. But, their contemporary, Francis of Assisi did not. Why not? Because he never went anywhere to preach the Gospel without permission of the priests. Furthermore, he would never criticize the priests and bishops—even the most lazy and immoral ones—nor would he allow his friars to do so. (As a result, the Franciscans were always welcome just about everywhere they went.)
Once a Waldensian challenged Francis on his unshakeable reverence for priests, by pointing out the local pastor who was living in sin. “Must we believe in his teaching and respect the sacraments he performs?”

In response, Francis went to the priest’s home and knelt before him saying, “I don’t know whether these hands are stained as the other man says they are. [But] I do know that even if they are, that in no way lessens the power and effectiveness of the sacraments of God… That is why I kiss these hands out of respect for what they perform and out of respect for Him who gave His authority to them.” His challenger left in silence.
(08-11-2011, 12:23 PM)SaintRafael Wrote: [ -> ]The thing is that the Church has always considered Homosexual men unfit for the priesthood, celibate or not. Their disorder makes it impossible to be the healthy normal masculine man needed in the priesthood so that they can act in persona Christi.

Have there historically been any actual documents stating that persons with homosexual tendencies may not be ordained? I know that a few years ago the Vatican came out with a document stating that persons with homosexual tendencies may be ordained if they live chastely for three years. I'm not sure what the policy was before that, but it's quite possible that, at the time of this priest's ordination, there was nothing at all in the canon law books about men with homosexual tendencies being ordained. Keep in mind that homosexual relationships were something not typically thought about or discussed in Western culture until quite recently.
(08-11-2011, 01:11 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]He still was a priest and lived up to the calling
until u have something to condemn him on, u should point your spear ronthe chruch who ordained him not the Priest  himself. Of all rhe damage unrepentant sodomite priets and bile rapists have done to the church. Iits grossly unjust to put this priest in that box.
I have known drunkard priests who were scandal to the cloth with thier drinking yet the two I was close with were good priests and never let s soul down.
Condemn this priest for his actions not for the churchs delerium for ordaining him
my 02
RiP

He knew he was a gay man. He had the duty to not seek the priesthood. He is responsible for defiling and making a mockery of the sacred priesthood by seeking and receiving ordination, even though he knew he had a serious mental illness and developmental disorder. If he really understood, respected and loved the priesthood, he wouldn't have become a priest knowing himself to be a gay man. To love the truth and the Church is to know that the Church in her tradition excludes Homosexuals from the priesthood.

Both him and the agents of the Church are responsible and at fault. He for seeking the priesthood and ordination, and the Church agents for allowing him to become a priest. The priests and bishops who allowed him to attend the seminary, passed him, and ordained him.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10