FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Do Eastern Catholics use the filioque?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
And are there differences between different Eastern Catholic traditions in its use?
While we all accept the Dogma, recitation varies. My Ukrainian prayer book puts [and the Son] in brackets, so it's there if the Parish recites it that way.
(08-11-2011, 06:14 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]And are there differences between different Eastern Catholic traditions in its use?

At the Ukranian Catholic parish I attended recently, I was surprised to hear them say "and the Son" when we got to this part of the Creed.  However, the phrase was in parentheses in the text from which I was reading (I suppose this means its optional in each parish).

If I were to guess, I would say that the Eastern Catholics obviously do not believe the Latin Church to be in error about the nature of the Trinity.  However, they prefer the phrasing that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father through the Son.  This is what the West believes as well, but doesn't have the finesse of the Greek.  I think the Eastern Catholics recognize this, while the Orthodox do not.

As long as this mutual understanding remains intact, I don't have a problem if the Eastern Churches choose not to recite it in their Creed.
(08-11-2011, 06:47 PM)MeaMaximaCulpa Wrote: [ -> ]If I were to guess, I would say that the Eastern Catholics obviously do not believe the Latin Church to be in error about the nature of the Trinity.  However, they prefer the phrasing that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father through the Son.  This is what the West believes as well, but doesn't have the finesse of the Greek.  I think the Eastern Catholics recognize this, while the Orthodox do not.

As long as this mutual understanding remains intact, I don't have a problem if the Eastern Churches choose not to recite it in their Creed.
this is correct

in Europe the filioque is not recited, in North America it was for a while it has pretty much ceased in many parishes though some still do it as posters have attested to

(08-11-2011, 06:14 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]And are there differences between different Eastern Catholic traditions in its use?
yes, i imagine non-Byzantine Catholics like Chaldeans and Copts use the filioque

In the Divine Liturgy that I attend, Byzantine Ruthenian, no we do not use the Filioque when we recite the Creed.  Do we believe the Dogma ... Yes absolutely we believe all that Holy Mother Church believes.
(08-12-2011, 12:47 PM)AxxeArp Wrote: [ -> ]In the Divine Liturgy that I attend, Byzantine Ruthenian, no we do not use the Filioque when we recite the Creed.   Do we believe the Dogma ... Yes absolutely we believe all that Holy Mother Church believes.
Our Byzantine Ruthenian Parish had always said it in the creed, even with parenthasis) and the nut job orthodoxers got involved in passaic NJ and suppressed it. It was always our organic position to recite it at our particular Parish for over 3-4 decades, then it was simply stopped ( they also began the nonsense of standing for the consecration, but many kept kneeling and a division arose in the pews ! A sure sign of NOT being from the holy spirit...but I digress) Then they changed The wording of the creed in a couple 'small" things...one thing being  the change from....."for us MEN and our salvation"...to "for US and our salvation" a clear sell out to the feminists. So my whole family left our Parish of 15 years and went to a nearby Ukrainian church...(where I am now the cantor in training)
Few Romans realize there is a quasi civil war at foot between the schismatic sympathizers and the American Byzantines. A reverse modernism to false archaeologicalism...instead of modernizing us,,,the revolutionary's are trying to antiquate us by simply ripping out organically accepted "Latinisms"
I expect this thread will soon digress into the schismatic sympathizers and me....Melkite most likly being the first responder.
(08-12-2011, 01:01 PM)voxpopulisuxx Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-12-2011, 12:47 PM)AxxeArp Wrote: [ -> ]In the Divine Liturgy that I attend, Byzantine Ruthenian, no we do not use the Filioque when we recite the Creed.   Do we believe the Dogma ... Yes absolutely we believe all that Holy Mother Church believes.
Our Byzantine Ruthenian Parish had always said it in the creed, even with parenthasis) and the nut job orthodoxers got involved in passaic NJ and suppressed it. It was always our organic position to recite it at our particular Parish for over 3-4 decades, then it was simply stopped ( they also began the nonsense of standing for the consecration, but many kept kneeling and a division arose in the pews ! A sure sign of NOT being from the holy spirit...but I digress) Then they changed The wording of the creed in a couple 'small" things...one thing being  the change from....."for us MEN and our salvation"...to "for US and our salvation" a clear sell out to the feminists. So my whole family left our Parish of 15 years and went to a nearby Ukrainian church...(where I am now the cantor in training)
Few Romans realize there is a quasi civil war at foot between the schismatic sympathizers and the American Byzantines. A reverse modernism to false archaeologicalism...instead of modernizing us,,,the revolutionary's are trying to antiquate us by simply ripping out organically accepted "Latinisms"
I expect this thread will soon digress into the schismatic sympathizers and me....Melkite most likly being the first responder.

Lol.  If your parish wanted to keep the filioque, why didn't they?  If your whole parish wanted it, you could have recited it however you wanted to as long as the Beast wasn't around, right?

As far as the 'nonsense of standing' for the consecration, you do understand why kneeling on Sundays was forbidden in the East, right?  Or do you think the Eucharist means anything without the Resurrection?
Apparently i have the gift of prophecy.
the creed was changed without our consent from above.
This is America not the east. The church always recognised the validity of local practice if it didnt violate the theology of the faith. Your sins are not paid for on easter they are paid for at the calvery...which is represented during the consecration.
I think the recitation of the filioque in the liturgy should be made obligatory.

The fact that it became "optional" after Vatican II was a shameful concession to the schismatics and a stab in the back of the uniates.
(08-12-2011, 03:11 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]I think the recitation of the filioque in the liturgy should be made obligatory.

The fact that it became "optional" after Vatican II was a shameful concession to the schismatics and a stab in the back of the uniates.
Amen
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11