FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Interesting site at the National Shrine...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had the day off, so I went to the National Shrine for Confession and prayer.

I walked into the Our Lady of Lourdes chapel (right next to the Crypt Church) and was stunned to see a priest celebrating the TLM by himself. I didn't know if I should be in there, so I left but I kind of wish I had stayed.

I thought the National Shrine discouraged the TLM. And can a priest celebrate the TLM by himself?
Yes, any priest can celebrate the TLM according to the 1962 rubrics by himself.

I don't know whether or not you could/should have stayed either, but I'm sure it was a very pleasant surprise for you to see that though.
Im pretty sure they have a sighn up saying no Damoosters allowed so its prob a good thing you left.

I dont see why it would be wrong if you stayed
(08-11-2011, 11:45 PM)Gorgondie Wrote: [ -> ]Im pretty sure they have a sighn up saying no Damoosters allowed so its prob a good thing you left.

It wouldn't be the first time!
Quote:I dont see why it would be wrong if you stayed

I really don't know if it would have been appropriate. Maybe someone with more experience than myself can chime in. Would you have stayed, Gorgondie?
Hey guys,  this is Walty.

Was this today or yesterday?  There is a small, student-run low mass on most Wednesdays during the school year in the Lourdes Grotto.  You are certainly welcome to be there.  There are usually at least 2 or 3 regulars (or there were in the last two years) that showed up every week.  It's too bad that no one was there.

PM me if you're interested in this more.
(08-11-2011, 11:56 PM)rose Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys,  this is Walty.

Was this today or yesterday?  There is a small, student-run low mass on most Wednesdays during the school year in the Lourdes Grotto.  You are certainly welcome to be there.  There are usually at least 2 or 3 regulars (or there were in the last two years) that showed up every week.  It's too bad that no one was there.

PM me if you're interested in this more.

This was today (Thursday).
I don't know if I would have stayed or not. But, I can see where one might feel uncomfortable or question it.

I have had the experience of seeing a priest celebrate Mass at a side Altar two times during the Octave of Easter last year. I did not know it was going to happen, as I was there for the daily 6 am Mass. It was very interesting. What a treat when it happened two days in a row. 

The priest was celebrating it at Mary's Altar. I kept glancing over and it was interesting to be able to know exactly where he was in the Mass by his movements. Obviously some rubrics or movements are more obvious than others.

It was at that moment that I realized that all it takes is for one priest to be offering the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass in the world to satisfy God. I know that may sound ridiculous, but its true. As he is offering it for the whole world. I also had the revelation that the Novus Ordo is not really a Mass when one considers how strange it would be to celebrate it by yourself since it is so dependent on the people in the benches. I know this sounds like I'm saying that the NO is not valid, but I'm not. It's hard to explain.

There is something in this spectacle that the ultimate love and worship of God is on display in a way that most people never see or consider.

(08-12-2011, 12:27 AM)Adam Wayne Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if I would have stayed or not. But, I can see where one might feel uncomfortable or question it.

I have had the experience of seeing a priest celebrate Mass at a side Altar two times during the Octave of Easter last year. I did not know it was going to happen, as I was there for the daily 6 am Mass. It was very interesting. What a treat when it happened two days in a row. 

The priest was celebrating it at Mary's Altar. I kept glancing over and it was interesting to be able to know exactly where he was in the Mass by his movements. Obviously some rubrics or movements are more obvious than others.

It was at that moment that I realized that all it takes is for one priest to be offering the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass in the world to satisfy God. I know that may sound ridiculous, but its true. As he is offering it for the whole world. I also had the revelation that the Novus Ordo is not really a Mass when one considers how strange it would be to celebrate it by yourself since it is so dependent on the people in the benches. I know this sounds like I'm saying that the NO is not valid, but I'm not. It's hard to explain.

There is something in this spectacle that the ultimate love and worship of God is on display in a way that most people never see or consider.

I find it interesting how this Chapel is on the grounds of the Catholic University of America in the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.

The reason is because there is a brief autobiography of a Catholic Priest who, when a Seminarian, used to serve Mass - the Priest for whom he served Mass used a 1943 Missale Romanum - in the Confessional Chapel in the crypt of the National Shrine!

I fail to understand why everyone is afraid of the Catholic Traditional Mass which is the Mass of huge numbers of Catholic Saints for over 1,850 years!  If it made them Saints, why can it not make YOU a Saint?  There is nothing wrong with the Catholic Traditional Mass.

Here is his very interesting autobiography at:
http://www.shrineofsaintjude.net/home-QBox-004.html

Thanks for reading!

God Bless You!

A Catholic Catholic
I frequently attended Mass at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception many years ago, long before anyone ever heard of the "1962 missal" of the 2nd Pope John 23rd.  Those Priests and Bishops obviously were not using the "1962 missal" for their Masses!

For example, I attended the special Mass that Richard Cardinal Cushing of Boston had on the morning of Friday, January 20, 1961 for President-Elect John Fitzgerald Kennedy who was inaugurated President later that same day.  Obviously, Cardinal Cushing did not use the "1962 missal".

I also attended many Ordination Masses - before the advent of the "1962 missal" - of both the Seculars and Regulars as well who were from "Little Rome" - so called because of the well over 300 Religious Houses, Convents, and Monasteries in the immediate vicinity of the National Shrine since many of their students attended classes at CUA (Catholic University of America).

But I also remember how very frustrating it was trying to understand any sermons or anything said in the Sanctuary because of the 5 or 7 second echo in the upper Church.

By the way, do you know if this terrible echo problem has ever been fixed Huh?

Thanks for reading!

God Bless You!

A Catholic Catholic