FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Nursing student has a question for you all!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A friend of a friend of mine asked if I could make this post for her. She's interested in learning more about tradition but isn't a trad (though she is Catholic), so she's looking for your opinions and advice. She's a nursing student who will be graduating and looking for work soon.

Here's her question:

Quote:  Hello everyone,

I am in my last year of nursing school. I will be graduating with a BSN in nursing and I would love to start my career in a hospital working in maternal/child health. Once I get enough experience, I want to go back to school and become a women's health nurse practitioner or a certified nurse midwife. My dream job would be working in a public health position to improve infant and maternal health outcomes in at risk women and their babies.

Unfortunately, this specialty field is full of moral issues (contraception, abortion, etc.). Plus, almost everyone who works in women's health is a pro-choice liberal feminist. I'm at the complete opposite end of the spectrum: I'm a pro-life conservative who believes in traditional gender roles.

I have already begun looking at job descriptions. Almost all of them include some sort of "family planning" role (basically, counseling on contraceptives as a registered nurse and prescribing contraceptives as a nurse practitioner). Obviously, I would not be able to do this. I believe this would create a lot of tension in the workplace, among many other things.

So basically, do you think it is possible for a Catholic nurse to work in this field without compromising her religious beliefs?

Thoughts? Comments? Do you know any pro-life nurses who work in this field? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.  

Also, before we jump right into the whole "traditional gender roles indicate that women don't work outside the home!" business, please note that this person isn't married and doesn't have a family to raise. Also please note that midwifery is a traditional occupation for a woman. Also, she's going to be reading your responses, so be nice!
Also, since Scipio is a nurse it would be really nice if he could throw in his two-cents Smile
Quote:  Hello everyone,

I am in my last year of nursing school. I will be graduating with a BSN in nursing and I would love to start my career in a hospital working in maternal/child health. Once I get enough experience, I want to go back to school and become a women's health nurse practitioner or a certified nurse midwife. My dream job would be working in a public health position to improve infant and maternal health outcomes in at risk women and their babies.

Unfortunately, this specialty field is full of moral issues (contraception, abortion, etc.). Plus, almost everyone who works in women's health is a pro-choice liberal feminist. I'm at the complete opposite end of the spectrum: I'm a pro-life conservative who believes in traditional gender roles.

I have already begun looking at job descriptions. Almost all of them include some sort of "family planning" role (basically, counseling on contraceptives as a registered nurse and prescribing contraceptives as a nurse practitioner). Obviously, I would not be able to do this. I believe this would create a lot of tension in the workplace, among many other things.

So basically, do you think it is possible for a Catholic nurse to work in this field without compromising her religious beliefs?

Thoughts? Comments? Do you know any pro-life nurses who work in this field? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.  

None of these problems would exist if you worked at a Catholic hospital. I see that your dream job is in the public sector, but you could probably have just as positive an impact on peoples' lives in a private Catholic hospital, and the pay might even be better. If you work in the public health sector, then you probably wouldn't be forced to compromise your religious principles (too many legal risks for employers to demand that of you), but you'd be fighting an uphill battle against a system which is inherently anti-Catholic, and there would probably be a lot of workplace tension. Either way, there will be some frustration and compromise - but the same applies to Catholic professionals in almost every field, even for Catholic teachers at Catholic schools.
Here's a response from the SSPX FAQ page - it doesn't approach it from the same angle as her question, but it seems related:
Quote:As a Catholic nurse, do I have the right to administer birth control (Depo-Provera) injections?

Clearly a Catholic does not have the right to help out in the administration of any birth control methods at all, such as Depo-Provera injections. Just as it is wrong for a physician to prescribe such "treatments," when used for birth control, so also is it wrong for a nurse to administer them to patients. You are obliged to make an objection in conscience to perform such actions, and see if your employer accepts that you have the right to refuse to do this.

If your hospital or employer refuses to grant this, you would be able to administer such injections, under duress, if it were the only way to keep your job. It would be what is called a material co-operation, which is to help in another’s action, not inasmuch as it is a sin, but simply as a physical action, which is not in itself evil, but good or indifferent. The actual act of giving an injection or a medication is not in itself evil, even though the intention of the person and of the physician are immoral. This is permitted for a sufficiently grave reason, such as keeping your employment, and provided that you have an upright intention, namely to provide for yourself and your family, and to help out the sick by the practice of the nursing profession. However, you are obliged to try and find another nursing position, in which you would not be asked to act against the moral law.

The great tragedy is that nursing is an eminently Christian profession, one which has grown out of the Catholic Church, and the living of the Faith, and the practice of the corporal works of mercy. Traditional Catholics should do all that they can to stay in this field.  [sup][Answered by Fr. Peter R. Scott][/sup]
http://www.sspx.org/catholic_faqs/cathol...rthcontrol

I don't know if it makes a difference that she's applying for these jobs knowing that it will be a part of her day-to-day though.  Although this is the reason why I've ruled out certain medical fields where I know I wouldn't be able to distance myself from dealing with contraceptives/abortion/etc.  Canada doesn't seem to have the same conscience laws that exist elsewhere.
This all looks very familiar...
If one of my two daughters wanted to become a nurse, and was interested in babies and maternal health, I would encourage her to become a midwife.

Babies ought to be born at home, and I never liked seeing them smear the ointment in my children's eyes as soon as they were born in case my wife had V.D. Yes, it is kind of insulting that they assume every woman is carrying a veneral disease, but more troubling was seeing these perfect little children immediately medicated. That's State Law, I believe, where I live.

It's cold and institutional. If I could do it all over, I think I would have sought a midwife and deliver them all at home.

That's all I got.
I'm a registered nurse. I think a Catholic hospital would be the way to go. Be wary, though. Many of them are for contraception anyway. If you apply for a job where you might need to do something against Catholic teaching, make very clear in the interview that you will not do it. Don't be worried about not getting a job. Hospitals are desperate for nurses. You WILL get a job. Maybe not that job, but if you think it's worth trying, go ahead and try.
(08-12-2011, 03:15 AM)Adam Wayne Wrote: [ -> ]Babies ought to be born at home...

Why?

You mean girl babies ought to be born at home, right?  LOL
(08-12-2011, 08:10 AM)Iolanthe Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-12-2011, 03:15 AM)Adam Wayne Wrote: [ -> ]Babies ought to be born at home...

Why?

You mean girl babies ought to be born at home, right?  LOL

Preferably in the kitchen, so they get used to their future ideal environment.....

Big Grin
(08-12-2011, 02:18 AM)atlantis587 Wrote: [ -> ]This all looks very familiar...

Laura?
Pages: 1 2