FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: World Debut Cristiada movie August 17
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thanks for posting about this film, I had not even heard of it. But it looks like they are only going to show "selected scenes" in Spain on August 17. Latest tweet : "CRISTIADA in Madrid, Spain! There will be a special presentation of selected scenes from CRISTIADA on 17 Aug.,"  Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cristiada/313576978430

Looks like it's part of WYD. http://www.madrid11.com/en/cultural/1463...con-la-jmj

This is a news story from April:

Cuajimalpa, Mexico, Apr 8, 2011 / 06:16 am (CNA).- The director of the upcoming movie “Cristiada” describes his film about the armed resistance against the attempt to secularize Mexico by force in the 1920s as an inspiring tale of faith and religious freedom.

“Our film follows the stories of five ordinary people from across the country who chose to stand up for their rights,” director Dean Wright told CNA on April 4. “Ultimately, once they found themselves in this little civil war, they had to decide what they were willing to do and how far they were willing to go to stand up for freedom.”

The director has said Catholics have been “overwhelmingly supportive” of the film and filmmakers are “very excited” about the high level of interest in the movie’s portrayal of a tumultuous period in Church history.

In 1926 Mexico’s President Plutarco Elias Calles began strict enforcement of anti-clerical laws, sparking opposition from the Catholic Church.

These laws were discriminatory and quickly became “a frontal attack” on Catholic beliefs, Wright explained. The Mexican bishops suspended all public worship in Mexico in hopes of forcing a resolution.

“There was no negotiation, and people were left in the middle,” the director said. They protested and marched in the street, actions which President Calles interpreted as a threat to his rule.

“He responded with violence, in an attack on a church in Guadalajara. Dozens if not hundreds were killed.”

Opponents of Calles organized into home-grown armies of Cristeros, “soldiers for Christ” who united to stand up for their freedom of religion. They took up the rallying cry “Viva Cristo Rey,” which means “Long live Christ the King!”

“Cristiada,” planned for release in late 2011, is the first movie Wright has directed. He has previously worked as a visual effects producer and supervisor on movies like “The Lord of the Rings” and the “Chronicles of Narnia” series.

He was introduced to the Cristero War through his friendship with Mexican producer Pablo Jose Barroso, who sent him a script he had developed about the event.

Wright was intrigued by the “incredibly inspirational people” whose lives form the basis for the movie.

“They’re ordinary people who are thrust into a position of monumental decisions that affect not just them and their family but their whole community and their nation.”

More here: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/m...ecularism/

C.
CAN"T WAIT TO SEE IT!!

Viva Cristo Rey!!
Hope it's at least a fair portrayal, look forward to it.
I have always been awestruck by the faith and resolve of the Cristeros.  When I was in college, I read the excellent book Blood Drenched Altars by Bp. Kelly.  That book broke my heart, it showed how many of the bishops in the US put pressure on the Mexican bishops to negotiate a compromise peace between the Cristeros and the Masonic government.  After the the Cristeros laid down their arms thousands were rounded up and slaughtered. 

You gotta love guys like this!

I can't wait for this movie. My great-grandfather was a Cristero (RIP, a poor man from the state of Guanajuato) so this is absolutely a must see. I was unfortunately never able to meet him, but I believe he was a great man. By the grace of God he had the faith, was a tertiary Franciscan (I saw his nearly 100 year old copy of the rule of the tertiaries, with Latin and English prayers, also a flyer for a Marian procession fromthe early 20s late 30s) and he passed the faith on to his son my grandfather.
What a wonderful video of these great Catholic patriots!!!!!!!!!!!! Pray Pray Pray Pray
I was soo moved by those videos, I wish every church showed them to see what a Courageous Catholic is!.  What happened in Mexico was also what Franco was battling for the Church in Spain.  There is still lots of faith in Mexico it justs needs to return to its Traditional History.
Why did the Mexican people support (and vote in) the secular govt?  What took place in Mexico in the late 19th and early 20th centuries that made all this possible?
(08-13-2011, 01:23 AM)Underdog Wrote: [ -> ]Why did the Mexican people support (and vote in) the secular govt?  What took place in Mexico in the late 19th and early 20th centuries that made all this possible?

Masons (USA) got a foothold of Mexico through Benito Juarez.
The US has never let go ever since.

(08-13-2011, 01:23 AM)Underdog Wrote: [ -> ]Why did the Mexican people support (and vote in) the secular govt?  What took place in Mexico in the late 19th and early 20th centuries that made all this possible?

Just fork out $23.95 and all your questions will be answered, and much more.  http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Drenched-Alt...0895553198
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6