FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Benedict XVI on whether homosexuals can have vocations to the priesthood
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
"Homosexuality is incompatible with the priestly vocation. Otherwise, celibacy itself would lose its meaning as a renunciation. It would be extremely dangerous if celibacy became a sort of pretext for bringing people into the priesthood who don't want to get married anyway. For, in the end, their attitude toward man and woman is somehow distorted, off centre, and, in any case, is not within the direction of creation of which we have spoken. The Congregation for Education issued a decision a few years ago to the effect that homosexual candidates cannot become priest because their sexual orientation estranges them from the proper sense of paternity, from the intrinsic nature of priestly being. The selection of candidates to the priesthood must therefore be very careful." (Pope Benedict XVI, Light of the World, pp.152-3).

What if a man presents himself for ordination despite knowing that he is afflicted by this disorder, which is, as the Holy Father has said - just as St Peter Damian, Doctor of the Church, taught, and the Curia has repeatedly ruled - "incompatible with the priestly vocation"?

St Alphonsus Liguori has clear words in his The Dignities and Duties of the Priest for those who present themselves for ordination despite not having a vocation:

The Lord has declared that his wrath is provoked against those who wish to rule in his Church without being called by Him... Priests who have not been called are indeed workmen and ministers of God, because they have received the sacerdotal character; but they are ministers of iniquity and rapine, because they have of their own will, and without vocation, intruded themselves into the sheepfold. They have not, as St. Bernard says, received the keys, but have taken them by force. They toil, but God will not accept; He will, on the contrary, punish their works and labors, because they have not entered the sanctuary by the straight path. The labor of fools shall afflict them that know not how to go to the city. [Eccles. 10:15] The Church, says St. Leo, receives only those whom the Lord chooses, and by His election makes fit to be His ministers. But, on the other hand, the Church rejects those whom, as St. Peter Damian has written, God has not called; for instead of promoting her welfare, they commit havoc among her members; and instead of edifying, they contaminate and destroy her children.
The Vatican ruling seems to allow for the ordination of homosexuals so long as their problem is not "deep seated".
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/wo...598101.ece

(08-12-2011, 05:56 PM)Cetil Wrote: [ -> ]The Vatican ruling seems to allow for the ordination of homosexuals so long as their problem is not "deep seated".
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/wo...598101.ece

and who has the thermometer that measures a homosexuals homosexuality to determine its deep seatedness
(08-12-2011, 05:59 PM)Gorgondie Wrote: [ -> ]and who has the thermometer that measures a homosexuals homosexuality to determine its deep seatedness

Well of course it was left vague - that seems to be a recent theological trend.  Although I've heard someone mention that a man who has never acted out on his disordered attractions wouldn't be considered to have "deep-seated" inclinations.  I can't remember where I heard that though, and I'm not sure how accurate that interpretation is anyway.  So that was probably a bit of a non-answer lol
I think Pope Benedict makes it pretty clear how that is to be interpreted. "Deep-seated homosexuality" = "homosexual orientation". The "deep-seated" is there so that guys who, e.g. might have had an adolescent crush on another guy, aren't given the impression that they can't be priests.

I really don't think Pope Benedict could be clearer on this.
(08-12-2011, 06:36 PM)Pheo Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-12-2011, 05:59 PM)Gorgondie Wrote: [ -> ]and who has the thermometer that measures a homosexuals homosexuality to determine its deep seatedness

Well of course it was left vague - that seems to be a recent theological trend.  Although I've heard someone mention that a man who has never acted out on his disordered attractions wouldn't be considered to have "deep-seated" inclinations.  I can't remember where I heard that though, and I'm not sure how accurate that interpretation is anyway.  So that was probably a bit of a non-answer lol

still... if you ask me thats a deep seated problem as you are obviously going to be struggling daily with homosexuality
(08-12-2011, 07:02 PM)Gorgondie Wrote: [ -> ]still... if you ask me thats a deep seated problem as you are obviously going to be struggling daily with homosexuality

Come to think of it, that was probably something I heard back in my days as the CA podcast's #1 fan (try not to hold it against me).  It's probably safe to disregard it.
Let's be serious there is currently a percentage of priests who have homosexual feelings. So the question is can they be celibate and be a good priest? i would be worried about something. Many of those who are celibate maybe mad at being the case . so will undermine church teaching in other ways. Also do a certain number of gays stay celibate within the priesthood to use their influence to try to change the church's teaching or acceptance of the gay lifestyle. That'.s why i think if a priest utters anything heretical or is lending support by commission or omission to anything against church teaching they should be removed immediatedly.
(08-12-2011, 06:38 PM)archdiocesan Wrote: [ -> ]I think Pope Benedict makes it pretty clear how that is to be interpreted. "Deep-seated homosexuality" = "homosexual orientation". The "deep-seated" is there so that guys who, e.g. might have had an adolescent crush on another guy, aren't given the impression that they can't be priests.

I really don't think Pope Benedict could be clearer on this.

That's your interpretation of what the Pope said in an interview, but his remarks in an interview don't have binding force. Moreover, you are dealing with an English translation of his remarks.  I suggest you read the actual Vatican document .

C.
Swap in the word 'fornicators' and see how that flies.
Pages: 1 2 3