FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Ukrainian Rite confession?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
So I'm probably going to a Ukrainian Mass tomorrow, and was curious how to go about confessing there; I certainly don't want to learn while in the confessional....awkward.
Also, I've only been to one Ukrainian rite Mass before, and just sat at the back, without a clue as to what was going on. Anyone want to fill me in further as to how to "properly" participate at a Ukrainian Mass?

Cheers.

PS. 2,222 post!  Sticking tongue out at you
(08-13-2011, 07:28 PM)LausTibiChriste Wrote: [ -> ]So I'm probably going to a Ukrainian Mass tomorrow, and was curious how to go about confessing there; I certainly don't want to learn while in the confessional....awkward.
Also, I've only been to one Ukrainian rite Mass before, and just sat at the back, without a clue as to what was going on. Anyone want to fill me in further as to how to "properly" participate at a Ukrainian Mass?

Cheers.

PS. 2,222 post!  Sticking tongue out at you

Well if you want to immediately give yourself away as a Roman make sure to genuflect when you go in.

Is the Divine Liturgy itself going to be in Ukrainian? Most Ukrainian Catholic churches usually do a Ukrainian/English mix. Just do what everybody else is doing and get ready to make a lot of signs of the cross.

Are you sure there is Confession before Liturgy? Usually in Byzantine churches Confessions are heard on Saturdays, usually after Vespers for the churches that actually offer Saturday Night Vespers.
Also keep in mind that Byzantine churches don't usually have Confessionals. Confession is usually said in front of the Iconostasis. The priest will stand next to you while you confess before the Icon of Christ typically. As for the actual "rite" of Confession, I can't tell you what to expect since I've never actually been, I've just seen it done before.
(08-13-2011, 07:38 PM)username123 Wrote: [ -> ]Also keep in mind that Byzantine churches don't usually have Confessionals. Confession is usually said in front of the Iconostasis. The priest will stand next to you while you confess before the Icon of Christ typically. As for the actual "rite" of Confession, I can't tell you what to expect since I've never actually been, I've just seen it done before.

That's no longer strictly true. At St Josaphat's Cathedral, Edmonton, they have a funny 'confessional' that's not quite a box and not quite face-to-face. It's an open structure with a wall around it that everyone can see in. Never seen anything quite like it in East or West. Smile
(08-13-2011, 08:50 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-13-2011, 07:38 PM)username123 Wrote: [ -> ]Also keep in mind that Byzantine churches don't usually have Confessionals. Confession is usually said in front of the Iconostasis. The priest will stand next to you while you confess before the Icon of Christ typically. As for the actual "rite" of Confession, I can't tell you what to expect since I've never actually been, I've just seen it done before.

That's no longer strictly true. At St Josaphat's Cathedral, Edmonton, they have a funny 'confessional' that's not quite a box and not quite face-to-face. It's an open structure with a wall around it that everyone can see in. Never seen anything quite like it in East or West. Smile

Interesting. Sounds like confessing in a fishbowl.
(08-13-2011, 08:50 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]

Yeah you're going to have to find out when you get there I guess. It might be in a confessional or in front of the Icon of Christ. I have never confessed in an Eastern church but I know there all different. The Divine Liturgy is beautiful though, hopefully you get a lot out of it.
If they do it the proper Ukrainian way, it'll be in front of the iconostasis or a side icon, you just go up, the priest will ask you if you have asked Christ for forgiveness of your sins and you confess.  You don't have to say how long it's been since your last confession, the priest will ask you for all the details he needs.  For absolution, the priest will place his epitrachelion (basically a stole, but sewn together down the front) over your head.  You can stand and bow as he does so, but I think that's more the Melkite fashion.  Ukrainians I think generally kneel for absolution.  Then the priest will pull off his epitrachelion, and you kiss the epitrachelion and his hand.
Funny somebody on CAF posted a simmilar question
(08-13-2011, 09:02 PM)a83192 Wrote: [ -> ]Funny somebody on CAF posted a simmilar question

What you trying to say?!

Thanks for the answers guys.
(08-13-2011, 09:01 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]If they do it the proper Ukrainian way, it'll be in front of the iconostasis or a side icon, you just go up, the priest will ask you if you have asked Christ for forgiveness of your sins and you confess.  You don't have to say how long it's been since your last confession, the priest will ask you for all the details he needs.  For absolution, the priest will place his epitrachelion (basically a stole, but sewn together down the front) over your head.  You can stand and bow as he does so, but I think that's more the Melkite fashion.  Ukrainians I think generally kneel for absolution.  Then the priest will pull off his epitrachelion, and you kiss the epitrachelion and his hand.

Does this ever happen during the liturgy, or is it only before the liturgy starts? Quite a few Roman Catholic parishes (if they have more than one priest) have confession before and during Mass. I've never seen anyone go to confession during an eastern rite liturgy, though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8