FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: For those who advocate burning Protestant Bibles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Do you use the RSV:CE? Isn't that a "Catholic translation" in name only? I mean, come on, it's pretty much the standard RSV with only a few tweaks. Isn't it a double standard to burn a King James Bible, but elevate its revised younger brother? Personally, I use the Douay Rheims almost exclusively nowadays.
What do people think about doing groupwork with Protestants, in the form of interfaith commissions or whatever? I think that if a person doesn't embrace the Real Presence in the Eucharist, and the seven sacraments, then they will not correctly discern the meanings of bible verses. Working with them will only invite trouble, such as introducing opportunities for human respect to replace understanding in faith. Bear not the yoke with..... what has light to do with .... Etc.
creimann Wrote:I think that if a person doesn't embrace the Real Presence in the Eucharist, and the seven sacraments, then they will not correctly discern the meanings of bible verses.

It is imperative (from their point of view) that they falsely interpret certain things.

Has anyone ever asked a Protestant what their grounds are for even using The Bible at all?   They have no business doing so, and they do not even realize why this is so.
I can hear, in my mind's ear, a modernist arguing in reply that Catholic scholars have always read what non-believers suppose to be true. In particular, it might be said that the scholars at Douay and Rheims read what English protestants had come up with in the KJV. But I think that's very different from having them in the same room, putatively working toward the same goal. To have a Protestant in the room and to be discussing religion without mentioning the need to convert to the full true faith seems to me a grave risk of putting human respect over faith. But in those commissions (and what 'commissions' they are), people with incorrect understanding of the Faith are 'respected' as such. Their 'contribution' is sought. The reasoning is probably that we are looking at how to interpret the material, and what links exist between the New and Old testaments, and that as such it is possible to 'set aside' differences ('for the sake of unity', no doubt). But no, I am sure in myself that if a person doesn't accept the unitary Faith with seven sacrements and Our Lord in the Eucharist, they will miss gobs and heaps of symbolism and significance at every turn. For example, protestants are basically like Esaus. They trade their heritage (the true faith) for something they want now (an easy faith in which flexibility is infinite). But will they ever admit it? Of course not! The question for them probably becomes much smaller. Significance is lost when we are yoked to unbelievers.
creimann Wrote:For example, protestants are basically like Esaus. They trade their heritage (the true faith) for something they want now (an easy faith in which flexibility is infinite). But will they ever admit it? Of course not! The question for them probably becomes much smaller. Significance is lost when we are yoked to unbelievers.
Well put.
gladius_veritatis Wrote:
creimann Wrote:I think that if a person doesn't embrace the Real Presence in the Eucharist, and the seven sacraments, then they will not correctly discern the meanings of bible verses.

It is imperative (from their point of view) that they falsely interpret certain things.

Has anyone ever asked a Protestant what their grounds are for even using The Bible at all?   They have no business doing so, and they do not even realize why this is so.

[Image: salute.gif] WOOSH.  It goes right over their heads, apparently that is.

Perhaps they should read the Egyptian Book of the Dead.