FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: announcements at Mass.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Does anyone else feel that when a priest reads the 'church announcements' right before he reads the epistles he is interrupting the Mass and perhaps announcements should be read before Mass (or whenever most practical)?
Generally our priest reads them after the epistle and gospel in English, I think.

But the sermon and english readings aren't part of the Mass, anyways. It's an interruption. There are no rubrics for it. That's why in many places the priest will remove his maniple before preaching (indicating a pause in the Mass, between the Mass of Catechumens and the Mass of the Faithful.)
(08-17-2011, 12:48 AM)Louis_Martin Wrote: [ -> ]Generally our priest reads them after the epistle and gospel in English, I think.

But the sermon and english readings aren't part of the Mass, anyways. It's an interruption. There are no rubrics for it. That's why in many places the priest will remove his maniple before preaching (indicating a pause in the Mass, between the Mass of Catechumens and the Mass of the Faithful.)

True, but I just find it weird that you go from sacred to profane to sacred.  I just don't like the disconnect that goes on there.

Maybe it just seems like it is more of an interruption.
(08-17-2011, 12:48 AM)Louis_Martin Wrote: [ -> ]Generally our priest reads them after the epistle and gospel in English, I think.

This. Before Mass I'm praying in preparation, after Mass I'm making my thanksgiving. I don't want to be interrupted by 'announcements. In the NO parish I used to go to, not only did the announcements interrupt my thanksgiving, so did the 'who's visiting?', 'who's got a birthday this week?' and 'who's got an anniversary this week?' 'announcements' complete with Happy Birthday and a dippy 'Happy Anniversary' song.
(08-17-2011, 01:06 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]Before Mass I'm praying in preparation, after Mass I'm making my thanksgiving. I don't want to be interrupted by 'announcements. In the NO parish I used to go to, not only did the announcements interrupt my thanksgiving, so did the 'who's visiting?', 'who's got a birthday this week?' and 'who's got an anniversary this week?' 'announcements' complete with Happy Birthday and a dippy 'Happy Anniversary' song.

Wow, to announce everyone's birthday is bad enough, but to actually sing the song...

:o
Our priest reads the announcements right before his sermon. Seems like a good time to me. I've never seen a priest make announcements before the epistle, that would seem an definite disruption in Mass.
(08-17-2011, 01:51 AM)K3vinhood Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, to announce everyone's birthday is bad enough, but to actually sing the song...

Yeah, and 'Happy Anniversary was even worse'!
(08-17-2011, 01:54 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-17-2011, 01:51 AM)K3vinhood Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, to announce everyone's birthday is bad enough, but to actually sing the song...

Yeah, and 'Happy Anniversary was even worse'!

What really frosts my cookies is when those NO priests announce and thank the deacon, their extraordinary ministers, and the choir - in the middle of mass.  Oh and when they invite laypeople to speak during the homily about this parish event or give their testimony. 

I once walked out of mass because before the final blessing the priest invited the head of the local church carnival to speak.  He clapped and sang his way forward through the church singing "We are Family" asking everyone to sing along.  What happened to prayer at that moment?  I don't know.  My husband and I couldn't pray the rosary before mass it was so noisy in the church.
(08-17-2011, 07:36 AM)Fontevrault Wrote: [ -> ]I once walked out of mass because before the final blessing the priest invited the head of the local church carnival to speak.  He clapped and sang his way forward through the church singing "We are Family" asking everyone to sing along.  What happened to prayer at that moment?  I don't know.  My husband and I couldn't pray the rosary before mass it was so noisy in the church.

I've been finding it increasingly difficult to attend the NO and this sort of thing is the reason.  I do believe that Catholic doctrine is expressed more clearly and beautifully in the TLM, but what seems to affect me the most is these "cultural" differences.  The typical NO congregation just doesn't seem to have a sense of sacred silence.  They talk and socialize right up to the beginning of Mass and begin again as soon as Mass ends.  I just don't feel like I belong there.

To the OP, I'm not sure that there is any good place for the announcements that will not somewhat interrupt the sacred.  With the homily is probably the least bad place. That is how it is done at the TLM I attend most often. 
JaneK,

The event I described was the final straw.  Pilgrim finally agreed to drive the 1.25 hours to the "local" TLM after that one.  I certainly understand where you're coming from.

F
Pages: 1 2 3