FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Capsule containing Pope John Paul II's blood heading to Mexico
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/10...to-mexico/

[Image: t1larg-pope-dec98.jpg?w=640]
Quote:MEXICO CITY (CNN) – A capsule containing the blood of Pope John Paul II will be flown to Mexico next week and displayed in more than 100 locations across the country, officials announced Tuesday.

The blood - drawn in a hospital before the pope's death in 2005 - will be on view in Mexico until mid-December, the country's Catholic Bishops Council said.

A collection of relics connected to the former pope and a rendering of his face copied from a mold taken after his death will also be part of the display, officials said.

"In the perception of a Mexico plunged into terror, pain, hopelessness, anguish, vengeance and rancor as a result of insecurity and violence ... the veneration of the relics will be an opportunity for the baptized and people of good will to turn their eyes to God," the Rev. Manuel Corral, the council's public relations secretary, told reporters.

In their journey around Mexico, the relics will travel more than 22,500 kilometers (13,980 miles). They are scheduled to arrive in Mexico City on August 17 and will go on public display August 25.

Nearly 84% of Mexicans say they are Catholic, according to the country's 2010 census.

The former pope - who became a saint in May - developed a close bond with Mexican Catholics and travelled to the country on five papal visits. Church officials trumpeted the relics' impending arrival with a statement titled, "John Paul II returns to Mexico."

"Pope John Paul II as much in his words as in his history has always been a pilgrim of peace," said Bishop Victor Rene Rodriguez Gomez, the bishops council's secretary-general. "The visit of the relics will give us a chance to reflect on these ideas."

"It is the moment to pray for peace," he added.

I love the error "The former pope - who became a saint in May"

LOL

Also, does anyone know if blood drawn pre-death in a hospital ever been used as a relic before? I've never heard of that.

Nothing against the practice per se just wondering if it's been done before.
(08-17-2011, 08:18 AM)K3vinhood Wrote: [ -> ]I love the error "The former pope - who became a saint in May"

Wow, that's some sloppy journalism there. 
Pushing aside the arguments about him temporarily, but why would they send his blood to Mexico ? This isn't computing in the old guy's head.

tim
(08-17-2011, 10:03 AM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]Pushing aside the arguments about him temporarily, but why would they send his blood to Mexico ? This isn't computing in the old guy's head.

tim

According to Bishop Victor Rene Rodriguez Gomez, the blood travelling around Mexico will give them a chance to reflect on JP II being a "pilgrim of peace".

Shrug
(08-17-2011, 10:03 AM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]Pushing aside the arguments about him temporarily, but why would they send his blood to Mexico ? This isn't computing in the old guy's head.

tim

Why not? Relics manage to travel around. 
Sancto Subito!!!!!  LOL LOL LOL
(08-17-2011, 08:18 AM)K3vinhood Wrote: [ -> ]Also, does anyone know if blood drawn pre-death in a hospital ever been used as a relic before? I've never heard of that.

Saint Gennaro?
(08-17-2011, 05:36 PM)Josué Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-17-2011, 08:18 AM)K3vinhood Wrote: [ -> ]Also, does anyone know if blood drawn pre-death in a hospital ever been used as a relic before? I've never heard of that.

Saint Gennaro?

His blood was collected after death.

Wikipedia Wrote:Saint Januarius is famous for the reputed miracle of the annual liquefaction of his blood, which, according to legend, was saved by a woman called Eusebia just after the saint's death.

I was wondering if blood has ever been collected prior to death and used as a relic. I don't know if it makes a difference but I've never heard of it being done before.
(08-17-2011, 05:48 PM)K3vinhood Wrote: [ -> ]

Saint Gennaro?

Wikipedia Wrote:Saint Januarius is famous for the reputed miracle of the annual liquefaction of his blood, which, according to legend, was saved by a woman called Eusebia just after the saint's death.

I was wondering if blood has ever been collected prior to death and used as a relic. I don't know if it makes a difference but I've never heard of it being done before.

Ohhh.  Hmm.  Huh?
(08-17-2011, 05:48 PM)K3vinhood Wrote: [ -> ]

Saint Gennaro?

So this saint business was all predetermined it seems!
Pages: 1 2