FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: even newer liturgy.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
various online sources keep saying our pope released the Old Mass so he could combine the old and new rite someday. First, that's fricking stupid, but what are the chances this actually happens?
I would say that the chances are unfortunately quite high.  The devotion to VII and the New Mass will make it incredibly hard to change the majority of Catholics' minds about the TLM.

They'll call it the Novus Vetus Ordo.  Or maybe just the Novus Novus Ordo.
Many will not go for it, so when I'm in a more optimistic mood (like now), I predict there will be two forms.

"OF" will be the hybrid, way better than current OF.

"EF" will be the current EF but when the older Holy Week, older Assumption propers, and so on - at least as options.

Everything will be better.
I think realistically having the same calendar for the NO and the TLM will happen some day, but we are far off from that. It won't happen until the Church has either regularized the SSPX or completely written them off.

I don't think they will be successful in creating one liturgy. If anything we're heading in the opposite direction as the Latin Rite now has three approved liturgies: The TLM, the NO, and The Book of Divine Worship for Anglican Use Catholics. 
I think not very likely.  It's possible the Novus Ordo Missal will be revised to include more from the 1962 missal, but I don't think it will work in the other direction, the exception being a calender common to both.
They'll never totally combine the two and eliminate the current situation; i.e., there wont be just one liturgical form used by the entire Church (and there never has been). We'll still have the TLM. Changing the NO to vastly improve it (by making it more like the TLM) is a great idea. Obviously we would all prefer that the Novus Ordo be completely done away with and the Tridentine Latin Mass restored to its rightful place as the standand liturgical form of the Roman Rite, but realistically speaking, the Novus Ordo is probably here to stay. Several generations have grown up with it. For many people, it's all that they know, and they're not interested in change. Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem with it if the TLM was simply imposed on Catholic parishes all over the world (just as how the Novus Ordo was brutally imposed on everyone back in the 70's), but the outrage inevitably incurred by such an action means the Holy See will almost certainly never do that. The Novus Ordo is here to stay as the 'Ordinary Form' in some way or another. It may as well be in a much, much better form than it currently is. Changing the NO to make it much more like the TLM is a step in the right direction.

The TLM will never disappear. The Holy See has affirmed that it is a treasure to be preserved for all the faithful. There will always be a group of Catholics who remain faithful to the TLM, and this group is rapidly growing and will continue to grow. Perhaps one day it will overtake the Novus Ordo. The culture of the Novus Ordo is detrimental to the transmission of the Catholic faith over multiple generations, whilst the cultural matrix of the Extraordinary Form is suitable for it. Children of 'traddie' parents are more likely to stay Catholic than the children of regular Catholics absorbed in the Novus Ordo culture. The TLM provides a strong religious identity, which is important in the preservation of the faith. I think it's very likely that after a few more generations the EF communities will significantly rival the OF communities, and things might work themselves out naturally (i.e., the OF will just be maintained by a stubborn minority, whilst the EF flourishes on a major scale). In any case, we don't need to worry about the EF/TLM disappearing.

The "hybrid mass" is a long term goal for many of those in Rome but hopefully God will prevent that from happening.

Let's have faith. He is in charge, not us.
(08-18-2011, 12:07 PM)Raskolnikov Wrote: [ -> ]...but realistically speaking, the Novus Ordo is probably here to stay. Several generations have grown up with it. For many people, it's all that they know, and they're not interested in change.

I think there is still a window for getting rid of it.  When the TLM was first universally imposed, rites that were less than 200 years old were just done away with.  People have access to a lot more information now, and think a lot more of their own "rights" and opinions, so maybe it's less practical to do that now, but...there is still some hope, I think.
(08-18-2011, 12:12 PM)cgraye Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2011, 12:07 PM)Raskolnikov Wrote: [ -> ]...but realistically speaking, the Novus Ordo is probably here to stay. Several generations have grown up with it. For many people, it's all that they know, and they're not interested in change.

I think there is still a window for getting rid of it.  When the TLM was first universally imposed, rites that were less than 200 years old were just done away with.  People have access to a lot more information now, and think a lot more of their own "rights" and opinions, so maybe it's less practical to do that now, but...there is still some hope, I think.

The NO is only 40 years old.  Many, many people went with the changes even if they disliked them.  Those types of people will change again.

The nature of the populations are different too.  Traditional folks by nature know and care about liturgy (if they didn't why suffer as a trad?).  So they will not accept a hybrid Mass.

But the NO folks hardly have an allegiance to anything.  Things change, they'll accommodate.  The die-hard ones who hate the Church and need to see womynpreessts and all that ... well they are barely Catholic anyway and good riddance to them.  The vast majority of folks who just go to their nearest Church will still go if it's a TLM instead of an NO, and they'll get used to it after a while.
(08-18-2011, 12:12 PM)cgraye Wrote: [ -> ]

Good point. The rest of the Church is slowly waking up to the reality of the Novus Ordo crisis. Maybe it will eventually happen that the Church admits its poor liturgical judgement in the 1970's and just supresses the Novus Ordo altogether.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6